PDA

View Full Version : Hierarchy node with particles

bandini
07-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm trying to attach objects in a group to a stream of particles with Xpresso. I know I could just use Pshape to turn my objects into particles, but for my purposes, I need to do this a little differently.

Basically, I have a group of cubes. I'm using a hierarchy node to count the number of objects in the group and output that to the particle count. That's no problem there. But, I can't get the individual cubes to follow the particles. I'm sure the iteration node and hierarchy node need to be used here. I'm just not sure how to set that up right, and the manual does not go into too much detail there.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the Xpresso setup. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any links to tutorials that talk about how to use the iteration node and hierarchy node would be helpful, too. I've see base80's tutorial, which is great, but I was not able to figure out how to adapt that to my situation.

http://www.adamswaab.com/cgtalk/particle_hierarchy_01.jpg

Srek
07-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi,
that can't work since both PPass and Hierarchy are iterators and independent from one another. In your example you basicaly try to attach every particle to every object and thats simply not possible. You only need one iterator here.
You have to use a different means of adressing the objects, the Link List node should do the trick.
Cheers
Björn

bandini
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

I can't tell you how long I was trying to figure that out.

I still would like to learn more about the iteration and hierarchy nodes, so if anyone can post some helpful links that would be great, also.

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.