PDA

View Full Version : OT Intel Macs

Ideas
07-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I've been following the 'Creative Mac'

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=45099

benchmarks for the 13" intel powerbook, and they seem to be pretty amazing, especially when running Windows apps like Photoshop.
As a duel platform user who moved to Windows machines (in total trepadation), for 3D work, it would seem like a no brainer to go with the desktop version when it comes out - assuming that it keeps up this kind of performance.
Now I see that a company called CodeWeaver is planning to release software called CrossOver that allows Intel macs to run Windows applications - without Windows!!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/30/crossover/index.php

Seems to me the desktop computing world could be about to shift quite radically.
Spleeve.

SteveW928
07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
That's really cool!

One note on the 13" MacBook though.... the 3D openGL capability of it does seem to pretty much suck from what I've been able to tell. So, they would be great for rendering and stuff, but you'd want a MacBook Pro for 3D apps themselves.

The desktop versions should be pretty cool. I'm sure they will be a level up in performance, as they will likely use the Xeon replacement, rather than the mobile oriented chip they are putting in the laptops and iMacs, etc.

But, one thing to keep in mind is that Apple's laptop line was getting kind of behind as opposed to the desktop line. So, these new Intel chips gave a big boost to the laptops... but we probably won't see such a jump with the desktops. I'm guessing even if they make a dual CPU (dual core) Intel model, its only going to be like 10 to 20% faster than the current Quad G5.

The current Duo Core Intel chips seem to be very similar in performance to the 2.5 GHz G5 in the Quad from what I've seen.

-Steve

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.