PDA

View Full Version : HARDCORE MODELING!: VitruvianMan: Full Body & Shading

Mattoo
07-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I've already chickened out of doing this entirely within ZBrush, so I'll fall back to using it for detailing.
It's been 2 years since I did any character modelling, so this might be painful to watch. :sad:

I plan on doing some compositing trickery to achieve the effect of the 2 figures occupying the same space.

First things first, research. I have access to the big fat Taschen book by Zollner (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3822817341/202-2469638-9181424?v=glance&n=266239) and I've taken a few snaps of other studies in proportion he was doing at the time he drew his version of the Vitruvian man. There are only a few images of the proportions of the head and face, two of which appear to be profiles of the same model for his Vitruvian man - or at least a pretty good likeness.
There is little in the way of fullbody drawings of any great detail that would be useful to this subject. I'll have to draw upon other sources for that.

RobertoOrtiz
07-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Just wanted to tell you that you are in good company with this challenge!

HARDCORE MODELING: VitruvianMan: Full Body & Shading - Stahlberg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=377693)

-R

Mattoo
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Up against a living legend eh? He's got Mudbox too! Bit unfair init? :D

Here's my first wip. Already finished the blocking in, started on some rough detail with the hands. Feet and head next.

jbacker99
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Nice start, modo I presume? I gotta try that software again, I wonder if the tools are faster than XSI's. Yup you definately have some competition.

Mattoo
07-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Cheers, and yep, it's Modo. Can't say it's any faster than XSI, although I can say it has a tactile sensibility in the same way old Softimage3D used to have.

Mattoo
07-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Nothing special here, first pass on some characterless body parts.

The second attachment is a quick comparison pic I threw together of what appears to be the same man. All these drawings were made during the same period he did The Vitruvian man, you can clearly see he was studying proportion. Interestingly the faces are amazingly similar when overlayed but the overall head sizes differ slightly.
I can't be sure this fella was his model for The Vitruvian, there's a few differences, he also looks a little too old. But there's enough similarities for me to work with.

Mattoo
07-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Some detailing on the head. Trying not to go too nuts, just enough so that I'm happy with the proportions before I take it into ZBrush.

fx81
07-11-2006, 02:14 AM
great modeling so far:thumbsup:

looking forward to more updates.

jbacker99
07-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Ya, i'm liking the face. Keep it up.

Btw... Did you make your avatar? If so, its awesome.

Mattoo
07-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys. Very slow progress so far - I've got the ear to do next. I've only ever made one ear before and I've just re-used that ever since... should be interesting (read: time consuming) :sad:

Yeah, I made the avatar, and thanks. :)

Mattoo
07-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Another day another update. Finished first pass on the head. Worked a little bit on the likeness, will try and nail that before I go into ZBrush.
I think it's showing too much whites of the eyes at the moment. But I'll fix that on my second pass.
As I suspected, there's too much face and not enough head in his drawing - makes my fella look a little squify. His profile proportions look correct to my eye, but The Vitruvian man himself is very flat headed.

fx81
07-12-2006, 03:37 AM
nice modeling again, i like it.

few crits, the chin looks odd, you may try pushing it a little back. the nostrils or the base of the nose could be little wider too. the jaw and the chick bone can be more defined and little wider also. more definition between eyebrows and forehead. the lips could be slightly frowning and of course he needs a pronounced double chin.

Mattoo
07-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the crits. I'll take a look a the width of the nostrils and odd chin. Good point about the frowning lips - I think it's that I haven't pushed out the area above the corners of the mouth to get that effect.
Some of the stuff you're talking about there I'm leaving to ZBrush. Most of the fleshy detail here is just for landmarking, so they're fairly ill-defined.

thanks again.

RobertoOrtiz
07-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Just a heads up!

HRC #3: Vitruvian Man TWO WEEKS TO GO! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=381007)

-R

Rod Seffen
07-14-2006, 11:46 AM
It's good modeling, but he looks about 60. The guy in the dewing is no more than 40.

Mattoo
07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
It's good modeling, but he looks about 60. The guy in the dewing is no more than 40.

Indeed, my initial thoughts were that this this guy must be in his 40's. However, on closer inspection I think he is older. Let me explain, I think we're not used to seeing older people with hair like that. I did a quick experiment and painted out the hair on The Vitruvian man. He looks a lot older without hair.

However, I'm not convinced of that yet until I've got hair on him, I'll make that call only then.

cheers.

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Just a heads up!

HRC #3: Vitruvian Man ONE WEEK TO GO! (Monday Night July 24th) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=382843)

-R

Mattoo
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Spent a long time (too long) on the neck and shoulders. On to the torso and legs now. The plan is to be fairly detailed and accurate for the muscles that have to move for the alternate pose, so that I can reshape them in Modo and not have to worry about some ZBrush trickery. The back and shoulder blades might be a problem though.
The muscles that won't move much from one pose to the next I'll leave to ZBrush - such as the extremities and central torso.

Rod Seffen
07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Your's is the best so far, nice character work, not just generic man.

IestynRoberts
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Great work Matt! I really like the progress you've made so far, looking forward seeing the final result! Good luck
-Iest

Mattoo
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks fellas. Although it's not much of a competition... where'd everyone go?

I'm be surprised if I get the shading part of this done, and it's likely I'll trip up in ZBrush, so I might carry on in Modo just a little longer, at least detail the chest some - if anything just to landmark for ZBrushing.

I'm gonna head into Lightwave Modeler now and dust off old Hairspray to model the hair. I'll then come back to the modelling with some crits from you guys hopefully, and I might have regained my objectivity by then too.

Things of note:
1. This fellas feet are odd, to my eyes they appear very broad and long.
2. There's a few things that would move from one pose to the next which aren't represented in the drawing. Namely, his todger and knackers would certainly shift somewhat.
His pecs would also change perceptibly from one pose the next.

Rog
07-22-2006, 12:35 AM
I think his feet appear big because of the nature of that awkward angle they are set to from the drawing. They kind of square off on the bridge. maybe a profile would help make a call on this.

I agree with taking the mesh as far as you can in modo too, as a beginner to zbrush myself I found it can get you bogged down in the smaller details too quickly and with time nearly up on this challenge you can probably do with out a new work flow.

good luck anyway.

Stahlberg
07-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Excellent job so far! Especially the heads hands and feet, the parts that look the worst on my model. :)

Mattoo
07-22-2006, 01:58 PM
I think his feet appear big because of the nature of that awkward angle they are set to from the drawing. They kind of square off on the bridge. maybe a profile would help make a call on this.

I agree with taking the mesh as far as you can in modo too, as a beginner to zbrush myself I found it can get you bogged down in the smaller details too quickly and with time nearly up on this challenge you can probably do with out a new work flow.

good luck anyway.

Well, I'm not going to make the deadline anyway, so if I I'm going to go over I might as well use this as a ZBrush refresher as much as possible.

Mattoo
07-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Excellent job so far! Especially the heads hands and feet, the parts that look the worst on my model. :)

Thanks, but they're the easy bits right. It's all the subtle volumes in between that you've managed that will get you finished quicker (and better by the looks of it).

anishmations
07-22-2006, 06:22 PM
grt going mate! your's has an excellent renaissance face! good job on hand and toes too. :thumbsup:

Mattoo
07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
:scream:

Thanks Anish - blimey you've finished! Nice work on the hair.

Still in the middle of Hair sculpting here. My memory had inconveniently glossed over the finer workings of Hairspray which has tripped me up for a few days. Plus it's the weekend when I'm unusually busy... and did I say it's uncomfortably hot here? Yeah, bastad weather... I hate the heat.... yeah.. and my dog at my wacom pen...and... and....

So I'm certainly not going to get that sorely needed ZBrush pass done (there's still loads of detail I'm missing - not to mention the fixes).

Here's a quick OpenGL grab from Lightwave Modeler. I grabbed the two morphs and blended them together in Photoshop and quickly spazzed with the highlights for some quicky skin shader action for a pre-viz.

Yay, I finally got my webspace working!

http://www.avin94.dsl.pipex.com/WIP_7.jpg

jbacker99
07-24-2006, 01:28 AM
Face looks awesome, modelling is great. Your version is strange though with the two bodys.

Mattoo
07-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks. Yeh it looks goofy like that, but the plan is to eventually blend them together to get the same effect (or as close as possible) to the original drawing... combination of edge sampling and comping trickery probably.

gaiXyn
07-24-2006, 02:29 AM
looking good bro!....hope you get the time to finish it! :thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
HCR MINI-Challenge #3: Vitruvian Man THE VOTING THREAD WILL GO LIVE Thursday night (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=385163)
Until then I am NOT looking.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.