PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of JoshuaJenkins

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Hey Everyone, long time reader (a couple years by now) first time poster.
I love all the work I see on these forums and it generally inspires me to do more of my own work. Though I am not a 3D artist in the least I plan on eventually getting there.

I hope it's kosher for me to post my own thread as a first post, if not feel free to remove it.

For a while I'm just going to post anatomy drawings that I'm doing to teach myself more about anatomy simply because it interests me. I'd love critiques, though I'm extremely hard on myself and probably notice everything already it never hurts to hear it from someone else, be harsh :)

Alright enough jibber jabber, here's my first image, I plan to post at least one a day. Also I apologise for the terrible quality, my scanner is out of comission so I had to use my digital camera. I put a couple editing blotches on top of my drawing, the blue symbolizes an area which is the wrong size, red symbolizes something that should not be there. I didn't mark up the hand at all because it's basically just wrong, I actually plan on completely reworking it.

Okay seriously, enough talking! Right Forearm Posterior View:
http://www.joshuajenkins.com/drawing/posterior_right_forearm.png

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 09:17 AM
This is just a quick 15 minute sketch of myself... trying to get used to my crappy old tablet again. Pretty shoddy line work, oh well.

http://www.joshuajenkins.com/drawing/halfme.png

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 10:06 AM
One more for the night.

Superficial Muscles of the Torso:
http://www.joshuajenkins.com/drawing/torso_superficial.png

Forced myself to do that one in 20 minutes or so instead of spending a week on it like I did with the arm one up top.

Just noticed the 50 Head Workshop deal, gonna start on that tomorrow, hopefully have a few to post up then. Looking forward to any critiques or comments :)

Rebeccak
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
JoshuaJenkins,

Welcome aboard, glad to see your thread! :)

I definitely like the Anatomy drawings you've done so far, and would of course encourage you to participate in the 50 Portraits thread. :) I would also recommend your trying to draw with a ballpoint pen ~ it looks like the pen you're using on the last drawing is a bit thick, and you might be able to get a better range of subtle values with ballpoint.

Looking forward to seeing more of your studies. From what books were your studies drawn? Also, it would be nice to hear a bit about your art background and training. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi Rebeccak,

The pens I used for both of those drawings are Micron pens. The forearm is done with a 0.1 tip which I accidently broke, so I was forced to use my 0.3 tip pen for the torso drawing. They're very old pen but were the best things I had lying around.

The book the two muscle studies come from is Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet and I also have a few drawings I'm working on from Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy.

My background... let's see. I took drawing classes all through high school but I don't accredit any of my ability to those classes except for my AP Studio Art class I took as a senior which is where I began to actually produce things I was proud of. I've never really been taught technique (hence my crappy line work which I'm desperately trying to develop), mostly I'd just be sat down in front of a still life and forced to draw it as accurately as possible. So I've got rendering down, but it bores me, which is what led me to anatomy studies, it's more interesting to me. Right now I attend Graphic Design school in Seattle and the only useful class I've had so far is a life drawing class which I wish I would have taken more seriously. Everything I'm capable of I accredit to personal observation and practice, I don't feel like I've ever learned anything from a class, they have just given me the opportunity to practice.

Wordy again, sorry :)

Rebeccak
07-01-2006, 07:59 PM
JoshuaJenkins,

An excellent artist on the forum who lives in Seattle is redehlert, you should definitely check out his amazing Anatomy Thread here:

Anatomy Thread of Redehlert (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297665)

I believe there is a local atelier / good art school where you can take some really good classes. You ought to ask David / Redehlert about that. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Very cool, thanks for the heads up :)

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Here's my first head. Not really that happy with it but I've been fussing with it for an hour and decided it'd be best to just leave it and move on.

Head 002:
http://www.joshuajenkins.com/drawing/002.png

Rebeccak
07-01-2006, 11:10 PM
JoshuaJenkins,

What program are you using? :) One recommendation is to use a softer brush. Also I would recommend using a larger brush to lay in larger areas of tone, vs. trying to imitate linework digitally. If you are using Photoshop, I can point you to some settings that might make your work easier. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Aye, Photoshop indeed. I just arbitrarily picked a brush and kinda went at it. Not the smartest thing to do, but I always spend too much time trying to find the right tool and then just giving up so I'm forcing myself to just jump into stuff regardless lately. I'd love some setting advice.

Also, if you squint my picture kinda looks like human, so I'd say it's an unconditional success.

aLoneCuzzo
07-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I like that first one a lot!

Hope you come to the darkside with the rest of us ball-point-pen addicts!

Keep iit up

JoshuaJenkins
07-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Any recommendation on a certain kind of pen or anything? Something cheap preferrably as I'm a poor college student :(

Rebeccak
07-02-2006, 12:08 AM
JoshuaJenkins,

I use any old ballpoint pen I can find ~ like a cheap bic ballpoint that I buy at Staples for 1.94 for 12. :) I think it's best though to draw on Sketchbook quality paper, there's a nice feel from ballpoint on that.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Awesome, off to the store I go then.

JoshuaJenkins
07-02-2006, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask technique questions or not, but I suppose it can't hurt.

I've run into a bit of difficulty rendering with pen. I'm not sure why, as it's not the first time I've done it, but I figured I'd ask anyone with any experience how they go about rendering. I'm specifically referring to a the face, as it's a difficult shape with tons of contours and the like.

This goes out to anyone with a free minute and a desire to share some knowledge with a fellow artist. How do you all render with a pen? Follow the countours of the face? Cross hatch? I'm tried crosshatching and somewhat following contours but it looks pretty terrible. Any artists I should look into? Etc... I'm just curious about technique as I'm having a bit of issue and would love some decent inspiration.

Also I'd still love some Photoshop pointers Rebecca (take your time, just don't want to void out my desire with unrelated questions)

Rebeccak
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by JoshuaJenkins: I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask technique questions or not, but I suppose it can't hurt.
Yes, this is definitely the place. :) Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions on the Anatomy Forum ~ I can't guarantee that I can get back to you right away or will know the answer, but I'll try my best, and there are plenty of others who may have suggestions. :)

I've run into a bit of difficulty rendering with pen. I'm not sure why, as it's not the first time I've done it, but I figured I'd ask anyone with any experience how they go about rendering. I'm specifically referring to a the face, as it's a difficult shape with tons of contours and the like.

This goes out to anyone with a free minute and a desire to share some knowledge with a fellow artist. How do you all render with a pen? Follow the countours of the face? Cross hatch? I'm tried crosshatching and somewhat following contours but it looks pretty terrible. Any artists I should look into? Etc... I'm just curious about technique as I'm having a bit of issue and would love some decent inspiration.
I've put together a ballpoint pen rendering Tutorial (under construction) here:

TUTORIAL - General Principles of Anatomical and Figurative Art (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3676539#post3676539)

I've closed the thread to keep it clean for future Tutorials, but you're of course welcome to post your questions regarding the tutorial here. :) I'll add text soon, but I at least wanted to get the images up. Hope they help! :) Generally speaking, you want to break down form in terms of simple planes. Go for the biggest shapes first, and don't think of individual features except as shapes. Then fill in big areas of shadow, leaving areas that will be lightest / have highlights white. Cross hatching in pen is not rocket science, but requires a lot of patience, and a light touch. You can't really rush it, you just sort of sense what needs to be done next. The main thing once you have your major areas of dark lightly established in a first pass is to start to round the sharper edges with light feathering strokes, and to work the image as a whole, not working in too much detail on any particular area. In other words, try to bring the whole image up at once.

I will definitely be posting detailed descriptions to the thread linked above sometime soon. :)

In terms of artists to look out, definitely check out the work of Rubens. He does amazing cross hatching work:

http://www.artnet.com/magazine/news/ntm4/Images/ntm6-1-1.jpg

Also I'd still love some Photoshop pointers Rebecca (take your time, just don't want to void out my desire with unrelated questions)
This thread should be useful regarding basic Photoshop shading:

TUTORIAL SUMMARY - Anatomy Review 003 Shading Tutorial - Tutorial Material Only (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=351832)

This post might also be useful in terms of the basic brushes to try:

Basic Brush Settings in Photoshop (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3611481&postcount=5)

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Just saw your pen shading tutorial a few minutes ago, looking great :) Just wanted to say thanks for your quick and meaningful responses. I find it very humbling to be in the midst of greater artists and am always impressed and pleased when I encounter courteous leader-typ folks such as yourself, your efforts are definitely appreciated.

Rebeccak
07-02-2006, 09:35 AM
You're very welcome! :) Well, the Anatomy Forum wouldn't exist without people who found it useful, so I'm glad that you do. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Part of Head 067

http://joshuajenkins.com/drawing/067.png

I'm becoming very frustrated with each of these that I do. I feel like I'm learning to draw all over again which is driving me absolutely nuts. I guess it's always hard to learn a new technique and it's going to take time, but I seriously had to force myself to do that much of the head because I disliked how it looked so much from an early point.

I'll just keep plowing through, hopefully I'll break through this wall and get back to good drawings :)

Rebeccak
07-03-2006, 12:00 AM
JoshuaJenkins,

It might be useful to sketch in the basic contour with pencil first before starting to ink with pen. It looks like the pen you're using may be too thick. You don't have to use pen, you can always try a regular pencil or mechanical pencil. A mechanical pencil is nice because of course you don't have to sharpen it and it gives a nice consistent line. A normal pencil is sometimes nice because of the softer qualities that you can get.

I understand your frustration, pen is not the easiest medium to use. But don't give up. :) Try drawing with a lighter hand, and blocking things in with pencil first. Trust me, I've heaps of drawings I've done that I've not liked. ;)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

JoshuaJenkins
07-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah these pens aren't very good I don't think. It's very hard to get them to produce a soft line, they have flow problems. I feel like I should force myself to draw with just a pen, as I tend to use pencil as a crutch to just guess lines until I get something I like. This process will probably be more painful but I figure I'll like the end result in 20 years when I draw a decent pen drawing. I figure there's no point in practicing if I don't do work I'm uncomfortable with, can't learn staying in my comfort zone. :) Guess I was just venting a bit. Back to the coal mines

kary
07-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Another thing that might be making the pen work more challenging is you're doing one of the softest heads. I'd hazzard working on something with harsh angles and with sharply defined shadows might be an easier piece to start with.

I remember a drawing teacher of mine being hell bent that the cheap bic pens were the only way to go, his point being that they offer some variablitiy of stroke that the more exspensive pens don't (as you always get an even flow with them). Another little thing is how soft the backing your working on is. If you're at the top of 20 pages instead of directly on wood it's an extremely different experience -- moreso with pen then pencil.

JoshuaJenkins
07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Yeah I really should have gone with the bic pens, maybe I have one laying around somewhere. I'm not a very big fan of the pens I bought at all. Good call on the contrast as well. The next one will be high contrast. Thanks for the response :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.