PDA

View Full Version : convert particles to geometry????

prox-emics
07-01-2006, 03:29 AM
I have not been able to find an answer to this question anywhere, so I'll ask it here.

I'm wondering if there is any way to convert particles to geometry. I used PArray to explode an object and now I want all the pieces (ie particles) to be their own individual pieces of geometry. I honestly don't know if this is even possible, or if there is some other way to get the same effect. The end goal is to have the particles as individual geometry for use with Reactor. If anyone has any suggestions or knows a way to achieve this, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

ahmedsheeraz
07-01-2006, 05:21 PM
hey, try mesher in compound objects which will make a geometry alias of the whole pArray but I don't think individual pieces can b converted into geometry. But still u can't use em with reactor. Once I had the same question on how to use particles with reactor but most of the people said it is not possible so forget abt it and if u got answer then post it 4 others.

prox-emics
07-01-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks ahmedsheeraz! i think this may be the right track...heres what i got:

i used mesher and then added edit poly. then i selected by element, which allows me to select each chunk/piece, and detached them. this allowed me to seperate each chunk into its own editable poly/piece of geometry that can be used with reactor.

then i ran into a problem....when i use detach it seperates the elements/pieces but does not carry over their motion/key frames. the original mesher element has the particles movement, but no frames or anything. as soon as an element is detached, it losses the movement. so if their is some way to "bake" the mesher/particle movement so it would carry over to the detached elements, then this might work...mmmmm???

though, i personally have no idea how to do this..any takers??

supremepizza
07-03-2006, 01:11 AM
If you use a PFsource particle object instead of a PArray there is a box for picking your geometry in the "shape instance" operator. Just hit "6" to open up the particle view and you'll see it there.

prox-emics
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
If you use a PFsource particle object instead of a PArray there is a box for picking your geometry in the "shape instance" operator. Just hit "6" to open up the particle view and you'll see it there.

so would this just assign the individual particles a piece of geometry for their shape? cause i want the shatter effect the PArray is causing, i just want to be able to select the particles as geometry afterwards to use in reactor...

though now i have started a different technique for the same type of effect; using the fracture option in reactor and just slicing the object before hand. but this loses all the cool things i can do with particles and is not really what im going for. unless i can use my shattered geometry as the particles geometry and still have it work with reactor...:surprised....now im confusing myself...why wont particles just work with reactor?!?!?:cry:

(i wish i had $1300 for ThinkingParticles 2.5 (http://www.cebas.com/products/products.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=15), this would solve all problems and is an amazing tool!!)

supremepizza
07-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this but I can't wrap my head around your scene without a better description. For now all I can think of is to copy your pieces as instances convert them to poly and link them to the mehsers and use layer management to turn on and off each to get the effects you want when you want.

prox-emics
07-05-2006, 04:45 AM
thanks for the confused reply. i think i understand what your saying in regards to my situation, though ill still try to explain it better.

basically, im trying to get my particles to be able to be used in reactor. i started simple; ive used parray to explode a piece of geometry. now, im wanting to use those pieces of geometry generated by the parray (which im asuming are considered particles) with reactor. right now im just working with parray and a piece of geometry, but i would like to be able to have particles that will be able to be calculated in reactor. though im beginning to think this is not possible.

after trying the previously posted mesher sugestion, i ran into a snag. the mesher works as far as creating geometry, but the individual pieces are not seen in reactor, only they whole mesher object. so i then detatched each chunk, but it then loses the movement it had while it was a mesher object. the only thought i have for a way around this is to make enough copys of the mesher object and delete all but one (different) element in each.

now im beginning to believe that there is no "way" to solve my issue. cause im basically wanting to use particles within reactor. i know there are space warps and the like for particles, but wouldnt it be nice to be able to have the particles work within a reactor simulation? :shrug:the only place ive seen something similar is with the glu3d plugin (http://3daliens.com/glu3D/index.htm). but thats different im sure, i think it creates meshes for/from the particles for reactor. but this is over my head.

so without rambling anymore, i guess underneath it all im wanting to use particles within a reactor simulation and i dont think this is possible. sorry for the dreary and lengthy post, and thanks for all the help.

joconnell
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Heya Ryan - I see oleg on my heels so no doubt a better reply on the way. You can only achieve this via scripting I think - Bobo has written a tutorial to convert pflow motion into scene object motion so you'd be able to transfer the pflow stuff onto some scene obejcts and then put them into reactor.

http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__MovingObjects.htm

prox-emics
07-06-2006, 12:30 AM
sounds like this might be what i need. thanks for the lead. ill try it tonight and post what happens as soon as i can.

all us particle people should get on max to give us the ability to simply add the particles into reactor, but im sure this involves some crazy programming business thats way beyond my brain...or else im sure they would have done it by now.

joconnell
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
As far as I know Oleg (original writer of pflow) is adding dynamics at the moment.

Sanzliot
07-09-2006, 02:04 AM
One easy way is to do a mesh snapshot, under tools - snapshot. although you wont have the animation anymore.

feldy
07-27-2006, 05:33 AM
go to www.allanmckay.com he has a fracture script and u can advoid parray all to gether

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2006, 05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.