PDA

View Full Version : 3DsMAX question (command lines)

Tavi
01-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Hopefully an easy question. (and hopefully in the right forum.)

If I have a network of pcs with MAX installed, and I'm trying to render a fairly complex scene, how can I render it in the most efficient way? I know how to set up and run the render farm, but the bandwidth traffic makes the proccess not much more efficient.

I was told I could use some command lines to run the simpelist (SP?) MAX files needed to render the scene, thus improving my CPU and RAM efficiency of each computer, but I'm fairly stuck on doing it. Currently I'm searching the User Reference Manuels for info, but nothing so far.

If anyone can help or offer any information on this, it would be a big help and greatly appreciated. Thanks

-VYDER-

VYDER
01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Do'h! Sorry, I did post the above, but forgot Tavi was logged in. Minor mistake...

-VYDER-

beaker
01-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Last I knew 3dsmax didn't have a commandline renderer. By default you can only render through max or the rendermanager. Though I remember Blur made a command line modual for max.

Here you go: http://www.blur.com/blurbeta/#download
It's called MaxRender.exe.

VYDER
01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks, though I'm not sure how that will work. IT's for Release 3 and I have release 5 running here... I'll see how it works anyways (crossign fingers).

Any more leads or hints?

-VYDER-

VYDER
01-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Burff..... Well I've futzed around with it trying to get it work with 5. The programmer took a look at it too. Basically we've gotten it to become a really impressive though complex way to open 3dsMAX and a file at the same time, and then sit there waiting for us to give it something to do. :-(

We did have an old copy of v3.1 and it works on that, but it's the only copy here and that won't do... Oh well, thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything to offer, please don't hesitate.

Thanks.

-VYDER-

beaker
01-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Just use the render manager and submit renders to it and close max. That way your not sucking up cycles displaying each frame as it renders and keeping max up at the same time.

Chris
01-15-2003, 08:29 PM
if you dont want it to suck up the ram needed to display the rendered image, just uncheck 'use VFB' (or something similar - memorys a bit foggy) in the render dialog before you submit it to backburner...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.