PDA

View Full Version : Messenger popups

AroundTheFur
01-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Ok so im not sure if i should post this here but apparently if you have windows 2000/xp/nt then youre open for these messenger windows to pop up, and one of these messages tells you to go to www.messenger-stopper.com to pay 24.95 to get rid of these. there must be some other way, is there? thanks.

MaDSheeP
01-15-2003, 04:36 PM
lol!

thats kinda pricey... i'll charge you half that!

alright, here is what you do....

be logged in as administrator, and you have to be able to see the Administrative Tools in the start menu/all programs (if you haven't turned it on, the Administrative Tools menu is under the start bar properties)

so... this is what you do, go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Services

and now some background, if my guess is correct, the annoying advertisement uses a built in feature in windows, the feature is a messenger utility that allows server administrators to send a server wide message letting everyone know

'Server Going Down in 5! Save And Logout!'

but if its on, people can get into it and do what ever they want.. and this is what you do to disable it, go into the services window and select Messenger

then change its startup type to Manual

my guess is, advertisers flood people with crap, and then they see this banner that offers a cure, for a price...

well in any case... let me know if this works =)

p.s. if you ARE on a server, you will no longer be able to see those messages, so don't turn that off all the time, if it does become a problem, and you can't just turn off Messenger... then i would recommend some kind of server firewall, linksys routers offer built in firewalls that would probably do the job :)

Bradf0rd010
01-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately, from what I understand, messenger pop-ups just waltz right through firewalls as if they weren't even there. :thumbsdow

MaDSheeP
01-15-2003, 05:07 PM
there has to be a way to watch them, i meen... you can't just send a messenger signal through any port, it has to come through a specific port, and that is what having that service running does, it opens up that port.. so there has to be a way to figure out what TCP/UDP port that messenger is using, and block anything outside of your local network...

=)

AroundTheFur
01-15-2003, 05:29 PM
thanks for the reply, i did what you said so now well see if it works. these popups usually occur for me over night. im on a linksys router right now, so theyre gettin through that firewall somehow. am i wrong in guessing if this didnt work a seperate firewall wouldnt either?

MaDSheeP
01-15-2003, 06:36 PM
have you tried turning on the Windows XP Firewall?

thats all i run, and it works fine =)

Joel Hooks
01-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Just disable the messenger service (it is unrelated to MSN messenger, btw)

It was fun back in the win95 days you could make a batch file and lock uppeoples computers with this handy tool. Now they use it for SPAM. GG Microsoft!

eX-one
01-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Agreed, lowdown.

I used to get these messages alot, from diplomas to more skin-toned sites. Just turn off messenger service. Typical home users with one or two computers won't really need it.

DeathCarrot
01-15-2003, 10:47 PM
on xp at least, i think nt and 2k too, to get rid of this go: start -> run -> "services.msc" (without quotes) -> disable messenger from the list... and as lowdown said, will not affect msn/windows messenger, will just stop these popups

jscott
01-16-2003, 03:03 AM
This reminds me of some fun I had way back in the DOS days when I was a system Admin. This was right around the time Win. 95 just came out.

We had a Novell LAN. There was a Novell app. I believe it was called Send.exe. On DOS it was similiar to the messenger service in windows. You could type at the DOS prompt something like:

send "Where are we going for lunch" johnsmith

Then where ever johnsmit was logged in he would get the message in quotes. People starting using this as a way to chat at work. You could hear them doing it because as I remember it the computer would beep when you got a message.

Curious to see who was screwing who at the office I created a Batch file called Send.bat. If there is a batch file and an executable file with the same name in the same dir the batch file will run first.

Anyway my little batch appended their converstaions to a ASCII text file before passing the text on to the real send.exe program. Found out a lot of interesting stuff that week..haha

-jscott

MaDSheeP
01-16-2003, 04:38 AM
we used to do that in high school... that was great... you could actually lock up someone's computer if you wanted to =]

if they were in DOS, which we were in our computer programming class, if you got a message, your computer would beep, interrupt the current DOS window, and put almost a generic text overlay on the screen saying 'Hit Control-C' and you would, and then you would see the message, hit enter and you were back to your previous DOS window, if you knew their login ID, you could just hold down the enter key to send a message, and their computer would go nuts.. that happened to me, everyone was getting mad at my computer beeping...

=]

singularity2006
01-17-2003, 10:25 PM
how does one go about sending messages using the messenger anyway? Some dude in the college computer lab was sending me msg's using it but I had no idea how to reply.

umblefugly
07-27-2004, 04:16 AM
Shootthemessenger should stop the msn popups.
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.