PDA

View Full Version : Displacement maps?

jojjoj23
06-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I am creating a desert scene and have come up with this so far
http://images1.filecloud.com/199733/deser.jpg
I have a bump map currently on the surface. When I assign a displacment map I made to the surface the surface gets all wierd and distorted. Please help.:sad:

vancliff
06-30-2006, 03:10 AM
You need to be aware that bump maps works with the light itself. No light no bumps, whereas displacement map actually modify the geometry. You need to modify the alpha gain if you are using an image for your displacement.

Map the "displacement" texture temporarily to a material's channel, such as Color, which displays the results in the view (with Hardware Texturing turned on).

jojjoj23
06-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Thx for the help :thumbsup:

I have also heard about normal maps. What exatly are they and how can I apply them?
(note: I am a texture and rendering noob)

vancliff
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Normal maps are generally used in the game industry where you use a high resolution mesh detail and transfer its detail to a low resolution mesh via their normals. You bake the detail into a texture through the normals. The difference with the bump maps which is grayscale map is that the normal mapping is composed of the three rgb values.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.