PDA

View Full Version : uv map

vetter
06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
I used 2d studio for a long time and now switched to maya. Im modeling a knife, and i uv mapped it... and i have 2 guestions

1. All my mapped things are all over the place and mapped correctly. Now, in the UV Texture Editor, how do i move all of those parts into the square that they should be?

2. After that, how can I import this template thing into Photoshop to texture it and import back if possible?

MorteX
06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I used 2d studio for a long time and now switched to maya. Im modeling a knife, and i uv mapped it... and i have 2 guestions

1. All my mapped things are all over the place and mapped correctly. Now, in the UV Texture Editor, how do i move all of those parts into the square that they should be?

2. After that, how can I import this template thing into Photoshop to texture it and import back if possible?

1:just use move,scale tool

2:select the object, and open hypershade>edit>create PSD network(6.0 or later)

another way:open UV texture editor>polygon>UV snapshot

of course,the first way is easier and more convenient

vetter
06-30-2006, 01:14 AM
yea.. i found that stuff out like 4 hours ago, then my internet blew up. my next question is...

3 . After i snapshot it, i save it as a dds, make changes, save it again. And now, how do i import it into the uv mapper of somthing for it to make it look how i want it (w/ the texture on it) ?

vetter
06-30-2006, 02:10 AM
and where is the move tool in the uv mapping thing?

vetter
06-30-2006, 02:11 AM
my next q is where can i import it so when i render it, it has the texture on the surface?

MorteX
06-30-2006, 09:02 AM
just use "normal" move tool (you use it to move object)

it is connected with the shader when you create the PSD network.

when you finished the texture, just open hypershade>edit>update PSD networks. then you can see it...

MorteX
06-30-2006, 10:32 AM
yea.. i found that stuff out like 4 hours ago, then my internet blew up. my next question is...

3 . After i snapshot it, i save it as a dds, make changes, save it again. And now, how do i import it into the uv mapper of somthing for it to make it look how i want it (w/ the texture on it) ?
wow...

dds??? means "digital dynamics simulator"? what's file type???

and you used the UV snapshot tool?(it's not a very good way...PSD network is more efficient...)

then...

if you finish the texture. open hypershade...create a file node...select it...open attribute editor...load image,then connect the outcolor attribute of file node to the color attribute of shader of the object.

(w/ the texture on it)

sorry...what's meaning?

OpenDut
06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
vetter I'll tell you how to do both of these steps, WITH EXPLANATION.

1) You can move the UV maps into the 1st quadrant (the top right section) of the UV editor. To move the UV maps, you have to select the UV map(s) first. The UV editor doesn't show any transform tools (move, rotate or scale).

To use these move, rotate or scale tool in the UV editor, you use the hotkeys:

F9 = vertex mode
F10 = edge mode
F11 = face mode
F12 = UVs mode

W = move tool
E = rotate tool
R = scale tool

However, to move the UV maps, you can only move them (if they're not selected at the moment) by selecting all their UVs.

So in your UV editor with the UV maps showing, press F12 on the keyboard. After pressing F12, you're in UVs mode, where you can select your UVs to move them.

Now drag a box around your UVs. Green dots (the UVs) should appeaar on your maps, meaning you have selected your UVs.

After selecting your UVs, press the W key to move your UV map. You should see the arrows after pressing the W key. Once the arrows for translation (moving) are showing, move the UV map to the quadrant you want.

Now press the R key to activate the scale tool. Scale your UV map down so it fits into the 1st quadrant.

2) After you've saved your UV snapshot, and painted it in Photoshop, you need to map that texture onto some attribute of your mesh, your knife in this case.

If you haven't created a materials for the knife yet, make one now and assign this material to the knife.

If the texture you've painted in Photoshop is just for colours, then select your knife object, bring up the attribute editor by pressing Ctrl + A, if it's not showing already.

Textures can only be mapped onto an object if that object have a material applied to it. Anyways, in the attribute editor, of the material you've assigned to the knife, there should be a color field, a slider next to the color field and a checker (black and white) square box next to that slider.

Click on the checker box - this is how you apply the image you've painted in Photoshop to your object. A pop-up menu called the "Create Render Node" should appear. Under the 2D Textures of the Create Render Node, choose the "File" type of texture (the button with a green mountain).

After choosing the File type texture, your attribute editor should show the file node, called "file1". In the file1 tab, under File Attributes, click on the folder icon next to the Image Name's field. Browse for your texture file and open it.

Now your texture should be applied onto your knife. You can preview the texture by selecting your knife object and pressing 6 on the num pad of your keyboard, assuming the "num lock" is on.

Good luck vetter, hope that can help.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.