PDA

View Full Version : sidestep

guitarplayer6516
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
heres a simple sidestep with a little bit of squash and stretch. tell me what ya think!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=40A559F1287EE386

rstratton
06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I would like to say your sense of weight is really good.

There are some suggestions I would make to get it a little more polished though. You could try turning the foot he is pushing off with a little away from his body. I like how you have him come back on the ball of his foot on the first push off but you need to do that also on his second side step because he just comes up onto his toes instead of the ball of his foot. Also if he is pushing off the ball of his foot the weight would push his foot down some, right now its just bent stiff on the ball of the foot the entire time. The second squash is also happening to early, he is squashing when he is coming up before he goes down the second time. He needs to be stretched out when he comes up and then squash back down when he is pushing his weight back sideways. That leading foot sliding back straight at the end is also distracting, I would say just leave it out there or have him pull it over quicker.

All and all I would say its a great start.

guitarplayer6516
06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
thanks for the great crits! heres the changed version (grrr i hate ple playblasts)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=355382FE0DC64F0C

rstratton
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I can't seem to get the newer version to DL....

guitarplayer6516
06-30-2006, 08:50 PM
alright i hosted it again. here it is.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=631875F24AF97783

PixelTales
07-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Guitarplayer this is looking good let me see if I can offer some suggestions for improvement. First I would crop it way in, there is no need for all the extra space, also add a frame counter to aid in critiques. Depending on which type of side step you were going for I think the steps are a bit to large and the character is squatting really low for a normal casual side step. If you were going for a low side step then I think this is just fine. You will want to add an anticipation wieght shift to free up the weight off its left foot before the ball takes its first step towards the right side of the screen. Also the characters left ankle seems to be in an awkward angle as it is pushing off into each step. I would tone down the ammount that the character is standing on the ball of its foot, and I would rotate the foot as it pushes off so that it rolls to its side a little to sell that it is pushing off more clearly. you may want to add a bit of z rotation to the ball counter clockwise as it presses down on its "hips" to shift its weight over the next foot on each step, and then a little bit of clockwise rotation as the weight settles in. Also since the steps are so wide right now it is hard for you to get enough "x" translation of the ball toward the characters right side right now to sell that the weight is has truely shifted from its left leg to its right before you lift the left leg off the ground to go into the next step. Also don't for get to add a bit of "x&y" rotation to the ball to loosen things up a bit. One last thing I am a big beleiver in the "when in doubt act it out" philosophy. Now I wouldn't suggest copying reference footage exactly it can definitly inform your animatiopn choices. Especially in a body mechanics excesize. Shoot some reference, frame by frame though it, take some notes, and then encorperate what you learned from the reference into the animation. Hope this helps, and makes sense. Sometimes it is hard to put these things into words with out the use of visuals :) Happy animating!

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2006, 08:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.