PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray - Fast Lookup Computation

psyop63b
06-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I am attempting to render my scene using backburner, with Mental Ray and Final Gather.

In the 3ds max user reference, under "Final Gather Rollout (mental ray Renderer)," it states that "Like photon maps and shadow maps, the fast lookup computation can be saved in a file and then reused in subsequent renderings."

I do not see any option to define where or if this file can be saved. Being able to store this data on the network drive is crucial to my ability to net render. Is the fast lookup computation file different than a final gather map? Does anyone know how to harness this data?

Edit: We are using 3ds max 8

psyop63b
06-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Since FG results are view dependent, and net rendering often renders some frames out of sequential order (due to varying render times between different nodes) I am guessing that being rendered out of order is causing a lot of the shading flicker I am seeing.

It does not appear that you can get consistent Final Gather results with a multi-machine net render, and I wanted to know if by generating a "Fast Lookup" file, I could cache the FG result for all machines to use.

BrianHarbauer
07-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Alot probably has to do with your scene size and photon size. Check out the MR thread for help.

psyop63b
07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I looked through the MR thread thoroughly before posting. This topic did not appear to be mentioned anywhere.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.