PDA

View Full Version : Locking procedural map to particles?

Steve Green
06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi,

is there any way to lock a 3D procedural map (smoke, noise etc.) to a particle object, so that they don't swim through the map?

I've tried UVW map set to XYZ to UVW on the instanced object and mesher objects (which usually pins deforming meshes), but nothing has worked so far.

Is it possible to lock the map to the particles?

Thanks,

Steve

scrimski
06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Set the coordintaes of the maps to object XYZ or explizit map channel(in that case you will have to assign a UVW-mapping or set the material to Face Map).

Steve Green
06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi,

it still seems to swim with Object XYZ, and Explicit Map shows seams.

Thanks,

Steve

scrimski
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Du you have a mapping operator somewhere in yor PFlow?

Steve Green
06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Yep - although isn't that more used for changing colours over particle age rather than applying mapping for procedurals?

Thanks,

Steve

scrimski
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
no, what you mean is an Material Dynamic operator. I was talking about a Mapping operator.

Post a pic of your flow, would be easier to explain I guess.

Steve Green
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
OK,

I've just got to nip out for a bit, but I'll post the flow when I get back.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Green
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I've uploaded the max file here.

http://www.stephendgreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/swimming_texture.max

Cheers,

Steve

OlegB
06-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Steve,

Do you have PFTools:Box#1 ? If so, I can beef up Mapping Object operator to achieve this kind of effect.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Steve Green
06-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Oleg,

that would be great, I bought Box #1 a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Steve

OlegB
07-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Steve,

I checked out the whole situation with particles and Mapping Object operator. It's possible to extend the operator to cover this case as well. If it's a show stopper please contact me via support-at-orbaz-com.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Steve Green
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi Oleg,

it's not a show stopper at the moment, it only came up because a friend was doing something similar.

If it's something that could be fixed with an extension to box #1 when you've got some spare time that would be great, as I can imagine it's something that I could use at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Steve

jussing
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

just reviving this.

I also need to have procedurals stick to the individual particles, but they slide all over the place (meaning the procedural map is locked to world space). Procedural map coordinates are set to Object XYZ.

I do not have a mapping operator in the flow.
I don't have PFtools. :)
The particles are instanced geometry, and if I move the original source object around, the procedurals stick just fine.
Any idea on how to do this without fancy PFTools boxes? ;)

Cheers,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.