PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heavy Metal - The Film

astrofish
01-15-2003, 09:29 AM
This is a bit off-topic, but I thought it might be worth having a thread were we could discuss the film itself. What do you think?

One thing that I wanted to say was that if you've got the DVD release, then look in the deleted scenes section and watch the 'Neverwhere Land' segment.

This was originally going to be between 'Stern' and 'B-17', but they cut it because of time.

This was a real shame because it's a fantastic piece of animation - well worth watching. Can't believe that this is the bit they decided to cut.

Cheers - Steve

Knut
01-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Sounds cool.

Hope it is possible to get the DVD here in Oslo, Norway.
Of those i've asked it's only those who have studied in the states that have heard about the movie. I'll do a raid in video stores tomorrow.

Cogliostros
01-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Ya one thing I found very interesting was that after the kid gets zapped and the transition to the first alien world... there is long shot of the environment, and if you notice the trees, they are almost exactly the same style that they used in Pitch Black. There is also the boneyard scene, the remains that are very similar to the bone valley scene as well.

I'll look more into Pitch Black see if I can pull up a few names and images...

I'm pretty sure some of the people on Pitch Black were somehow inpsired by Heavy Metal... anyone else?

-CountCog

AlexAlvarez
01-15-2003, 04:36 PM
A lot of people dont know of the movie due to legal matters which prevented the production company from releasing the film on video... The movie came out in the early 80's, but was not available on video until about 3 or 4 years ago.

They couldn't get rights to the music that was in the film (black sabbath, devo, blue oyster cult and many more).. but then they finally got things squared away and rereleased it in theatres for a short run ('98 I think), then onto video.

It should be fairly easy to get ahold of now on video or dvd...

and it is well worth watching... although I don't recommend the sequel which was made a couple years ago. In my opinion it stinks... bad animation, silly story, bad acting, bad music... ashame really since Kevin Eastman and Simon Bisley were involved.

A.

doremon313
01-16-2003, 12:17 AM
i never saw the movie....is it good?

Danoku
01-22-2003, 03:34 PM
uhmmm is it good....depends.
If you are at all a rabid fan of the magazine (subscribed before it came out.) Then it is a bit of a disappointment, the mag in the day was that d@#m goooood. BUT if you think of it in the frame of when it was released, it was amazing, I mean 'cept fritz the cat you hadnt see anyone naked in animated work before.:applause: It is defintely worth a look. Better off trying to by reprints from the first two years. Mobeius, Bilal and Septeiri (sp) nuff said.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.