PDA

View Full Version : maya - can you add geometry after binding?

starla30
01-15-2003, 05:38 AM
I've done a good amount of weighting on a character and I just realized I don't have enough geometry for good deformations in the hands. if i unbind, add geometry, and rebind, will it preserve my weights? i'm guessing probably not but i'd like to hear it from the experts before i give up and start over. yes/no? thanks. :)

MDuffy
01-15-2003, 08:12 PM
If you unbind geometry with the "delete history" option turned off (in the options dialog for unbind) then when you rebind to the skeleton all your weighting will be preserved. Another option is to go to www.highend3d.com and look for the saveWeights.mel script that Big Idea released. It allows you to save off a mesh's weights either by point order (if you aren't adding any geometry) or by world/local point position (if you are adding geometry or changing the topology.) The saveWeights script is incredibly useful when weighting characters.

Hope this helps,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.