PDA

View Full Version : Getting a laptop, design spec help needed

flaagan
01-15-2003, 05:33 AM
I just got informed by my parents that I'm getting a laptop for my 22nd b-day (which is in may, but they're getting it for me now so i can use it for school). I'm studying game design, with a focus on modeling and texturing. Most of the common laptop review sites tend to not discuss the models that would have the best 3d modelling capabilities for software like Maya and XSI, so i figured I'd get input for this valuable resource (cgtalk forum / users).

So far, here's what I know / am sorta sure about:
- price limit hasnt been set, so I'll aim high and work down from there
- video card must be nvidia based, and powerful
- hard drive size i negotiable, since i've already got a file server-type system at home
- pc system only... not mac (thought i'd be sure to point that out :p )
- dont care about AMD vs Intel (best bang for the buck!)
- wireless lan wouldnt be bad, as all the starbucks in my area have wireless net for free with your coffee
- preferably a DVD/CD-R drive

can't think of anything else just yet. mainly i'm just looking for input on either particular models that people can recommend, as well as which provider / brand people have had the best experience with, and possibly which brands to avoid.

thanks in advance guys (and gals)! :thumbsup:

elvis
01-15-2003, 06:10 AM
check out the dell M50 laptops, and fujitsu celcius laptops. both feature very fast processors, mobile quadro4 processors (great for mobile modelling), wireless lan and CD-R capabilities.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.