PDA

View Full Version : Which plugins are essential? Best processor?

RudeYuut
01-15-2003, 03:50 AM
Ok, I have a couple of questions really. I already have Deep Paint:LW Edition (which is pretty sweet) and Swift 3D, I'll probably get ACS4 and G2 (SSS, yeah!). Is there any other plugins that you would recommend? I'm also looking X-dorf, shadow designer and particle illusion but I'm not sure. Secondly, I'm building a system an alienware specifically for lightwave and photoshop, and I'm wondering if LW utilizes dual processors. I've been told that photoshop doesn't support dual Xeon processors. So I'm looking at an Athlon MP/XP or a P4. I really don't want this to turn into an AMD vs. Intel argument, I just want to know what is the best processor for the LW & PS. Thanks in advance.

wgreenlee1
01-15-2003, 01:50 PM
You lucky dog!
Yes Lightwave supports duelies....as far as processing you might have a look at the data for comparisons....
Compatabilty for PS?I dont think PS would not support duels that seems kinda funny to me as it designed to handle extreme loads as is Lightwave.

sensai2nd
01-15-2003, 06:56 PM
You should check out Flay.com . . . every plug-in imaginable for LW . . . Also, how useful do you find DeepPaint? Do you do all your texturing with it or is it still productive to use Photoshop as well?

minus
01-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Yup Yup... LW loves dual processors. LW also loves Pentium 4 processors. (SSE2 Extensions). I run a dual AMD 1900 System... and the benchmarks that I've seen put it at about the same speed as a Pentium 3.06 system. -- Man... I can't imagine how fast a dual 3.06 system would be! ;)

RudeYuut
01-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Yeah I've been checking out flay and downloading every plugin I can find. I think I'll go with the P4 3.06, PS doesn't support Xeons. All I have to do is choose whether to stick with alienware or go with a dell. Deep paint is pretty nice. It has a PS interface feel to it so the learning curve isn't that steep. I still use PS for some maps though because without Deep UV, DP feels like it's lacking sometimes. Besides when you want a paticular texture, bump or spec map, you just have to fall back on good 'ole PS. It is nice to directly paint on your model though. If you're going to get it, make sure to remember to always change the color of each surface to white in the surface editor before exporting it to DP. (It doesn't tell you this in the online manual). If you want to paint anywhere on the model. Create one surface for the entire model, create a HUGE WHITE (I mean really big) image map in PS and put on the surface of the model. Export it and start painting. Other than that it was a good buy. Does any one have X-dorf or shadow designer? Should I set them? Thanks in advance.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.