PDA

View Full Version : MotionBuilder Standard Customer Action

Megalodon
06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi All!

As witnessed by the closure of the last thread concerning US "against" Autodesk.... PLEASE let's be civil and keep a thread concerning this open. We need to keep this discussion/debate going until we all hear from Autodesk regarding a course of action that benefits all users of MotionBuilder Standard.

I still have yet to hear back from the FTC, but will not stop until I do. I have yet to hear a response to my response from the Better Business Bureau, but as soon as I do I will post it here.

Respectfully,

Megalodon

3DDave
06-28-2006, 12:21 AM
No significant responses from AD here either.

Duffdaddy
06-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Ditto, nothing either, but I'm at the ars* end of the planet so I'm only dealing with a reseller.
Pity about the other thread. Will keep checking in here though, and I try and keep the other thread I opened in the General forum here on CG Talk in view by bumping it occassionally.
--EDIT--

And while I think of it, for all those folks who might have or will miss probably the most viewed thread of recent times (excluding the sticky threads) in this particular forum...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=356734

Worth a read if you care about the future of software licensing and what it means for 'Jo User'.

Curtis
06-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,

I apologize for the delay in getting this out to you, but we are going to be sending a supplemtry communication to MotionBuilder Standard users (versions 5, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0 and 6.0.1) to clarify the license server termination notice that was sent out (version 7.0 users are not affected). This is the text that will be sent out:

Hello MotionBuilder Users,

This communication supplements the one previously distributed in regards to the retirement of the MotionBuilder Standard product. This communication provides additional clarity and relevant support information for existing users.

First, at no point do existing software licenses become disrupted, invalid or revoked; the codes, and therefore, the licenses and the software remain fully operable, in accordance with the End User License Agreement.

In certain cases if a user was to change hardware components of its system, a system crash were to occur, or the user attempts to transfer its license to another system, the Protexis Licensing Activation System could require a new activation serial number.

However, and this is the second point, Protexis advises it continues to support its Licensing Activation System. Therefore, if a user’s activation code becomes invalid users can request a new activation for their software license, by contacting Protexis support as noted below. Users must provide to Protexis the software name and version number, as well as their original serial number..

o Direct email contact to the Protexis licensing support group – support@protexis.com

o Link to the Protexis support website - http://www.protexis.com/support/support.htm

We trust this supplemental information alleviates concerns regarding continued use of the MotionBuilder Standard product.

Thank you for your attention,

Curtis Garton

Product Manager – MotionBuilder

Autodesk Media and Entertainment

pixelmonk
06-30-2006, 02:56 PM
there's your answer. Thanks Curtis.

Megalodon
06-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Never mind.... why bother.

Edited because it's not worth it. ;)

Duffdaddy
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey guys,

I apologize for the delay in getting this out to you, but we are going to be sending a supplemtry communication to MotionBuilder Standard users (versions 5, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0 and 6.0.1) to clarify the license server termination notice that was sent out (version 7.0 users are not affected). This is the text that will be sent out: ..Abridged..

Curtis Garton
Product Manager – MotionBuilder
Autodesk Media and Entertainment

Thanks Curtis - finally good to have an answer directly from AD. But why the huge delay on a response and ambiguity around what the change in license arrangements and termination notice meant?

And why of why have only some registred users recieved email notifications and others nothing?

m.d.
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
thankx curtis

we appreciate the info.
it's good to see there is some customer support in the big conglomeration's.

Please don't take any of the criticizm personally, it's great to have someone in your position monitering the forums and participating.

Keep up the good work.

Duffdaddy
07-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Come in Curtis - earth to Curtis, are you receiving?

Megalodon
07-02-2006, 08:12 AM
You have to give Curtis a break here. It IS the long 4th of July holiday in the US and I doubt we'll get any responses until after the 4th. But then why did it take so long so get this response? The reason (IMO) is obvious - after all of the action taken by us users they decided to change their minds about activation and wanted to word it "just right" so as to quell any further furor.

As colkai stated in the "other thread," it was obvious from their first e-mail what they were doing and they have since back-pedaled realizing their error. Of course the biggest error (again, IMO) is the fact that they discontinued Standard. But then they DO have that right, don't they?

At this time we will have to be happy with this new reactivation scenario - of course if anything happens to disrupt this in the relatively near future, we will KNOW that AD used this as a tactic to remove the momentum of our "disappointment" and curb any potential legal action/further involvement with the BBB and the FTC.

Only time will tell....

So for now... we wait till Curtis responds and/or an official e-mail/statement from Autodesk. Regardless, this is still a victory for the users of MB Standard and we should be happy.

Megalodon

Lewi
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
So is this reactivation service free ? On the official forums at Autodesk/Alias there is a thread that talks about a £112 pound one off charge for a permanent hardware dongle to solve our problems of reinstalling after system failure or hardware updates.

lmederos
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
One item that I am still investigating: is there a charge from Protexis or is the reactivation for that existing license for MB included for having purchased the existing license??? not clear from Protexis site who pays for the service and there is one page where they mention "credit card charges."

Lewi
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
This is looking much better now, lets hope its not too much cash to reactivate.

colkai
07-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Either way,
The carefully worded EMail I recvd with the above text still is a back-pedal and allows Autodesk to wash their hands of MD Std users. If Protexis start charging, they can play the Pontious Pilate card.

In certain cases if a user was to change hardware components of its
system, a system crash were to occur, or a user attempts to transfer
its license to another system, the Protexis Licensing Activation System
could require a new activation serial number.

compare that to...

..as of July 13, 2006, it will no longer be possible to acquire new licenses for MotionBuilder Standard versions 5, 5.5, 6 in the event of a hardware failure, operating system reinstallation, or moving the software to a different computer.

Cynical damage control is all. Here's hoping Protexis have more respect towards users of their system.

skritter
07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
I remember reading in a reply from Protexis somewhere receintly that the suggestion even in Autodesk email about the need to contact Protexis in-case of reactivation.

Protexis said that no contact was nessessary and that the normal online activation process during installation should just work like normal.

So no change in the way things are done.

(Sorry I dont know where I saw this. I think it was an email reply to someone that they posted)

softdistortion
07-07-2006, 04:42 AM
lol...oh what a hoot
In certain cases a user ...could require a new activation serial number. :thumbsup:

ps: Colkai, I totally thought the same thing. :hmm:

benwatt
07-15-2006, 08:31 AM
The latest issue of 3D World that just came out (issue 81) has their Letter of the Month covering the complaints they received about MotionBuilder Standard existing licenses (they chose to print softdistortion's letter). They got the same response from Curtis that we've all now seen, basically with Autodesk commenting that the original e-mail was "misleading" and that the second e-mail was just to "clarify their options".

But, I guess despite Autodesk implying they meant that all along (yeah right), it was a good result in the end.

Although it did do a remarkably good job of pushing people's attention away from being outraged that they were expected to pay so much to continue using MotionBuilder's latest release.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2006, 08:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.