PDA

View Full Version : xsi to max - is hair transferable?

kidult one
06-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Im currently developing a character set which will be placed in a Max scene and rendered. The company that is doing the scenes and rendering want access to the hair - they want to be able to change settings (mostly dynamics like wind) they are also using mental ray to render. I believe xsi taps into metal ray's hair system? (bit of a noob here) so would it translate to max?

MJV
06-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Im currently developing a character set which will be placed in a Max scene and rendered. The company that is doing the scenes and rendering want access to the hair - they want to be able to change settings (mostly dynamics like wind) they are also using mental ray to render. I believe xsi taps into metal ray's hair system? (bit of a noob here) so would it translate to max?

Though I can't say definitively, I would guess not.

NRG-Alpha
06-28-2006, 04:10 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here a hazzard a guess that in all likelyhood, it will not work. I'm sure that both hair systems (Max's and XSI's) are probably incompatible (built differently). If it did work, I would be suprised.

I hope the company you work for has a backup plan (or I hope you have the patience to contsantly tweak to their demands :thumbsup: )

Cheers,

NRG

kidult one
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Did not think so at all but doesn't hurt to ask? They will be providing us with scenes (just camera data, lights , nulls and some of the background /foreground objects ) - they requested accesibilty to the hair but if not possible they would just let us handle it and hopefully not too much tweeking.

visualboo
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Why not just do the hair in max?

- Model, create, do whatever you need to do in xsi then export your character to max. Inside max do all the hair work and give them that file. Max has a 30 trial when you install it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.