PDA

View Full Version : Edge loop selection and cut

SheepFactory
01-15-2003, 12:24 AM
is it possible to select edge loops and rings in houdini?

and does it have a edge loop cut? a la MJ poly tools?

Thanks ,

Ali

MCronin
01-15-2003, 12:34 AM
No loop select that I'm aware of, but it does have brush and lasso picking which might make selection easier. To cut a loop just use a PolySplit SOP and set it's options to Quad Strip and Close Path.

Mybe someone should see about porting MJ Poly Tools to Houdini...

SheepFactory
01-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Thanks Mcronin,

The brush selection will do for now. It'll be great if someone ports Mj PT as you said.

capin_crunch
01-15-2003, 05:26 PM
What do you mean Poly MJ tools? I have never heard of such a thing. :surprised

SheepFactory
01-15-2003, 06:05 PM
here check this page:

http://www.maya3d.dk/Scripts/MJPolyTools/

scroll down to see what the tool does.

ambient-whisper
01-17-2003, 06:28 AM
mj poly script isnt everything about modeling though. it just gives you a tool that you can use in a number of different ways. but its not a complete toolset for modeling.

no proper bevel, bridge, coplanar edges, edgeloop/ring selections, more flexible extrude tool etc. hope to see some of these get into houdini sometime soon. cuz its gotten a lot better from its previous versions.

capin_crunch
01-17-2003, 03:59 PM
I have an old copy of Houdini 2.5 from way back when, and man that thing is about the most cryptic piece of software. I remember when I first installed that sucker, and I actually got it to run I was just scratching my head. Houdini has come a long way in the terms of ease of use. Hell they just added drag and drop in v5 if I am not mistaken. I am eagerly awaiting the release of v6 because if they have been listening to what all the people have been saying @ 3dbuzz, odforce, and their message boards its going to be a dandy. I would like to see a more customizable UI though. I think they just get rid of that toolbar across the top and turn it into more of a shelf type thing aka Maya. I would like to click TAB and then be able to drag all the OP's I use on constant basis into there without having to go into some dialog and start editing the generators /fliters/ etc etc toolbars. But that's just my 2 cents.

cheers
-capin_crunch

alexvfx
01-17-2003, 08:51 PM
I was a Softimage user prior to Houdini. Out of the blue, I jump boat into Houdini instead. That was Houdini v3. I don't find it really that cryptic after I read the included tutorials. From Houdini is where I learned what 3D art making truely is. Houdini's GUI is customisable. SideFX is very good at listening to their customers. But remember that they are a VERY small company compared to Newtek, Discreet, AW, and Soft. The toolbar shelf is still there since version 1 (?) since 97 or 98, I believe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.