PDA

View Full Version : Insane transform confusion, please enlighten me

tredeger
06-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I have a problem that I can neither solve nor even begin to wrap my head around:

quite often when I open one of my scenes, several objects will not have the transform values they last had when the scene was closed. Instead, they will have reverted to a previous value for some unknown reason.

This seems especially to be the case if I transform the object then set a neutral pose. When i reopen the scene, I have to reset all transforms to get back to the saved state. that isn't too bad but annoying.

Now I've encountered a much more problematic case. I'm working through the 3D quakers rig tute now and you have to do a lot of "match all transforms" of cubes with other objects. When i match the transforms all seems to work properly. then when i reopen the scene, I've lost the new transform values. This is a terrible problem.

A similar problem seems to exist when I duplicate an object. It frequently doesn't want to duplicate with the same values as the object at the time of duplication, but some other set of values. This seems to be a neutral pose issue as resetting all values tends to fix the problem.

The entire problem seems to be compounded if I try to do any kind of parenting. I build a television model recently with several nested meshes that had been scaled as needed and looked correct when i closed the model. When I reopened the model the child objects all had crazy transformation values whose logic was impenetrable and I was unable to recover the original look. Had to roll back to a version prior to the parenting.

As it currently stands, I can't wrap my head around the freezing of transforms, the neutral pose, and how to parent while keeping the relative transform values of the children prior to parenting. I'm not sure if I'm missing some key concept or if this behavior is buggy.

Please help my sanity. Thanks a TON in advance.

cheers,
jazz

kimaldis
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
the only thing I can think that might cause that is keyframes on your objects.

Noratio
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I have a problem that I can neither solve nor even begin to wrap my head around:

quite often when I open one of my scenes, several objects will not have the transform values they last had when the scene was closed. Instead, they will have reverted to a previous value for some unknown reason.
only thing I can think of is you have (any) keys on objects, perhaps you have hit K or have autokey on.

Edit: lol 4:09

tredeger
06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
well, i don't know if that solves all my listed problems (will have to test and see) but it does seem to solve the one with which i'm currently wrestling. But the answer makes me look like such an idiot! How could I have not noticed that? Of course my first thought was that autokey only starts keying after you've set a key on a parameter. Then again, how easy is it to accidentally strike that keystroke and never notice? Too easy.

Long story ---> short: THANK YOU!!!

dwigfor
06-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I had that problem with instances. Fix was to parent the instance to a null and do the pos/rot/scale keys on the null.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2006, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.