PDA

View Full Version : Bones - which viewport to create in?

pete
01-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi everybody,

Iv'e been working a lot more with bones now and one thing that has always confused me is the need to creat bones in certain viewports. I thought they'd just be the same all the time....

Is there anyone out there who could clear this up for me?

Thanks - petey

jimcoldt
01-15-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm with you...

I've always found this confusing. What I do as a general workaround is to turn on the "back fin" (or the front), then create the bone in, say, the Right viewport--(this makes it face the correct way based on 'front'---of course, this would be for a leg or spine).

I wish there were an easier way to choose which way you want it to face after you create it, short of rotating it...

pete
01-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Yeh it's a bit weird man,
but at the moment I'm trying to make a setup in Maya, so I don't have the fin option?

goosh
01-16-2003, 12:05 AM
I create the bones usually in the side view... (at least the spine and feet)
the arms depending on how the character was modeled, I do them in the top view.

The rotation could all be messed up, but then I go and change them one by one to suit my needs.

BTW I use Jason's jsOrientJoint to orient my joints properly.. (that script rules!)

Goosh

pete
01-17-2003, 01:50 PM
I followed this tutioral from "digital tutors" that was pretty helpfull.
At themoment I'm creating the bones then adjusting the bones local rotation pivots afterwards.... It seems pretty scary a first but I think it is nessesary to know fully whats going on in there and it seems to have helped..

So in other words it doesn't matter what viewport I create them in because I am always setting the bones local pivots myself.

bentllama
01-20-2003, 05:58 AM
i create them in the 3d view... or usually through MEL (my auto rig scripts)...

when i create them in 3d view I always place a locator where I would like my joint(s) and just snap to the locator as I draw them...or my MEL takes named locators placed where i want them and builds joints in their locations in a given heirarchy...

my 2.5 cents on the subject

cheers

:beer:

pete
01-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, because in max you really couldn't mirror bones so i'd just set up the points, mirror them then snap the bones to them. But I'm starting to think maya also freaks out a little when you mirror joints!

The thing I'm still having trouble with is accurately controlling the bones local rotation Axis.. They are flipping a fair bit as I link to other controlling objects, and it's just a bit scarey.
I generally set it so I have to go in and manually rotate them.
I've still been having a bit of trouble though.

Has anyone checked out the book "inspired character rigging", Is it any good?

jimcoldt
01-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Yes, I have the Inspired Character Setup book..

I think it's very good. Although I'm using 3dsmax, I find that the maya topics and Mel scripts aren't that difficult to translate to maxscript. It's all really the same theory anyway.

I would recommend the book.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.