PDA

View Full Version : Roll Extraction..?

AyaKoshigaya
06-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Hi,

I need some help with the Roll Extraction of MotionBuilder..

In my current project I'm using MoCap Data for my animations... after I cleaned anything and fixed animation problems I exported the animation to Maya. It work's anything fine, except the Roll of the Shoulders... :(

In Maya (in MotionBuilder too) the Shoulder Joints have rotations on all 3 axes.. but, I want the roll (it's the Y-Axis at my rig) done by a seperate joint below the shoulder.
I thought this would be this Roll-Extraction thing in MotionBuilder..

But, how does it work?? I can do whatever I want, set it to 100%, to 0%.. Absolute, Relative.. turn it on or off.. it doesnt change anything!.. I'm plotting and plotting the animation with many different Roll-Extraction Settings, but the rotations on the Shoulder and Roll-Joint are allways the same.

I remember, when I started the animation in MotionBuilder it worked fine.. but later I plotted the animation some times between the Skeleton and ControlRig.. could this be the reason for the problem??

It would be great if anyone could help me.. :)

Au'revoir,
Aya~

alec.tron
08-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I m just looking into another issue where I hoped to use Roll Extraction and stumbled upon a sentence that might explain your roll joint troubles....so I thought I ld post...
MB 7.5 Documentation on Roll Extractions:
"A problem affecting the influence of roll bones on knee and elbow effectors has been corrected. When you set Roll Extraction values, they are now applied correctly to the knee and elbow bones and effectors as you manipulate hand and foot effectors."
Probably applies to MB 6 & 7 and might be the same for shoulders.
Fun, init ?
argh...
c.

Slurry
08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't think the Roll Extraction settings work unless you have the animation plotted to the control rig.
You can also edit/delete any unwatned data in your graph editor.

Art

Headless
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Roll Extraction, along with alot of the other options in the character settings rollouts, should be applied when the character is set to actor input. These are processes that affect how the character is driven by the actor.

You apply the marker data to the actor, then you tweak things like translation and rotation reach, motion reduction, and roll extraction, and then when you plot to control rig, those tweaks are factored into the plot. These options don't affect the animation, so once you've plotted from the actor, tweaking them no longer has an affect as from that point on the character is just following keys.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.