PDA

View Full Version : HDR Lighting in closed rooms

jackboxx
06-26-2006, 10:28 AM
hi.
i want to illuminate a closed room with hdr. but the workflow seems to be different from a geo-model to illuminate, cause i want the innerside of the room lighted not the outside... what can i do?

what is the workflow to light the inner of a room with hdr?
anyone an idea?

j

pixelshaker
06-27-2006, 08:50 AM
I think you missed the sense of hdr a bit. usually hdr-lighting is used either for doing exterieur renderings of architecutre, cars etc or for the integration of objects into an existing intereieur/exterieur shot where the backplate is filmed/shot by a camera and a HDR image was captured right on set.

I donīt know your room, but imagine the following situations:

You have a livingroom at sunset. The sun floods the room from one big window. In this case you have one yellowish directional or area light for the sun an maybe a blueish area light for the sky which are shining through the window. As you want "correct" illumination you have to use GI oder FG or whatever lightmodel which simulates bouncing light.

You have a businnes room with lots of light tubes at the ceiling. You will have to place for everey lighttube a corresponding light, like a objectlight (see objectlights from francescaluce) and then use GI here too.

For both situations a HDR image wont help you much. For the living room you might use a hdr outside the room, but in my opinion you have much more control with placing light sources and then use e.g. the mib_cie_d1 node to set the color of the sun in Kelvin.

For the businness room you would need a hdr that has lighttubes in it. hard to get it and much harder to place it in a way it would work with your scene.

I hope i could help you a bit.

jackboxx
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
hi.
i tried it to render my parkinggarage, which is open on the sides. i just turned off the shadow casting of the roof and the ground. it first seem to be a good starting point but some shadows arenīt right. maybe i give the objectlights from francescaluce a chance.

thanks
j

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.