PDA

View Full Version : A very basic, free XSI tutorial...

Soulhuntre
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey!

So as part of a 3D and animation orieted video podcast I have started a series on Softimage|XSI. I am starting very elemtary and workign my way up to a large modeling project. Obviously pretty much everyone here is well beyond the topics I cover (rotation, scaling, translation and viewport navigation) but I would love opinions on the encoding and so on anyway if you have a moment.

Thanks!

http://www.theproductiondojo.com/items/date/2006/06/23/episode-2-hands-on-intro-to-softimagexsi/

slatr
06-25-2006, 12:49 AM
The encoding quality is excellent!! Voice is clear and the image is sharp.

I am considering moving to Softimage or using it along with Lightwave. So, hopefully you can leave these intro videos up. It will all be new to me :)

byanfu
06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice work Soulhuntre, the quality is very good. Will you have an RSS feed for the episodes?

Soulhuntre
06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Nice work Soulhuntre, the quality is very good. Will you have an RSS feed for the episodes?

Thanks!

Yeah, http://www.theproductiondojo.com/feed/ shoudl get it to ya. I also got listed on iTunes so I am fully iPod compatible.

I intend on doing a lot of these on several topics. XSI is a big one, Poser is another and shooting MiniDV is the third leg of it. I find that many of my personal projects are really just an excuse to learn something new and I like putting that information back out there.

Soulhuntre
06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I am considering moving to Softimage or using it along with Lightwave. So, hopefully you can leave these intro videos up. It will all be new to me :)

They will be up for a long time. The site is a major project for me. If I have my way I will manage to move from making a meager living developing web applications to making a meager living doing tutorials and other podcasts. I like broadcasting.

The goal is to take use Softimage to develop a fully modelled and rigged virtual actress and then putting together a guerilla style face tracking setup (MiniDV input, face markers and some tracking software) to animate and lip sync. It will take a while, but I am totally excited by the prospect.

Sbowling
06-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Not a bad start, but the workflow you are showing is what I would consider bad. While you can turn off the individual move, rotate and transform channels, this is not something that you would ever really need to do if you have the transform manipulators visible. You can (as you showed) click on each individual axis to move them, but a very important manipulation feature you left out was clicking in between the manipulator handles to constrain movement and scaling to a specific plane. For example, if you select between the X and Y transform axis, you will only be able to move on the x and y axis. Also, instead of moving the mouse all the way over to the right side of the screen, you can double click on the individual axis to constrain movement to that axis. Of course, you can add to these axis selections using shift, just like any selections.

Also, the navigation methods you are showing are a waste of keystrokes and are much slower than is needed. Instead of hitting the s key and then navigating, then hitting escape when done, just hold down the s key while navigating, then when you are done navigating, release it and you will go back whatever selection mode you were in before. These are huge time savers, and are a big part of what makes working in XSI so great. I hope this doesn't come across as being harsh, but I consider neglecting to mention these things in a beginner video is doing a disservice to the viewer.

I would also dump the podcast size and make these in a more useful resolution. I just can't imagine this being the least bit useful on a tiny ipod screen.

BTW, you get an A+ for presentation. :thumbsup:

Soulhuntre
06-26-2006, 05:21 AM
...Of course, you can add to these axis selections using shift, just like any selections...

Good point! I certainly agree that those need to be mentioned, and I'll put em in the next one. Clearly there is a need for that information. What I am doing is trying to build the information on itself and not really through too many shortcuts around all at once.

That and I didn't know about the double click on an axis thing :)

These are huge time savers, and are a big part of what makes working in XSI so great. I hope this doesn't come across as being harsh, but I consider neglecting to mention these things in a beginner video is doing a disservice to the viewer.

In a medium that wasn't as continually updated as a podcast, you would be right. But one of the things I like about it is that you can built things over time. You don't have to cram it all in. This cast had basics. I was specifically trying to introduce concepts (like going into and out of a tool mode).

Hopefully soon I can present the shortcuts and my audience will actually know what it is a shortcut too :)

Thanks for all the comments and if there are any other features that bear mentioning, please do. I am far from all knowing on the tool!

I would also dump the podcast size and make these in a more useful resolution. I just can't imagine this being the least bit useful on a tiny ipod screen.

I really like having it. I have watched it on my iPod and I think it works OK. For someone who needs a 3D "fix" on the go it is fine.

BTW, you get an A+ for presentation. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2006, 05:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.