PDA

View Full Version : Vray vs Mental Ray

brandonheng
06-24-2006, 04:14 PM
has anyone had experience with both the rendering engines? which one is better?

BeSStia
06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
this is almost a war declaration... or at least the catalyst for an endless discussion. Both are good when you know how to use them, on the other hand vray can be easier for a begginer, though many people say that mental ray is more powerfull when you really know what you´re doing. So i would say, none is better, the best one is the one that you feel most comfortable with, and that will let you get the results you want.

CupOWonton
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
You know, if I had Vray again, I wouldnt be surprised if they rendered near the same speed when using sertain materials.

I got my hands on some modified files for Max which open up some reflection and refraction abilities along with some other neat stuff they hit away because they were too stupid to integrate them into max properly.

It seems you CAN get nice glossy reflections out of MR without waiting 30 minutes. What Ive found is that Vray is fast because its very streamlined. You get some base materials which do MANY things simply by adjusting specific properties. In MentalRay you end up using MANY different base materials to emulate real ones. And in most cases it seems youll almost have to -build- your material using a lot of different base materials stacked into eachother.

I think MentalImages and Autodesk need to work together to provide a more common-sense version of MR materials. Ones that also show up in the material viewer with glossy/anistropic reflections and refractions as well...

I would realy like to see some demonstrations on how to properly use the MR glossy material bases though.

yuriythebest
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
MR is slower but more stable, while vray free cannot render to texture. Vray seems to handle large polycounts faster.

EquiNOX
07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Quality is one thing you should be looking at not, speed! MR and VRay does render real good. Regarless if they have speed or not. Its not issue about speed just like Ferrari VS Lamborghini :)

Myliobatidae
07-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Quality is one thing you should be looking at not, speed! MR and VRay does render real good. Regarless if they have speed or not. Its not issue about speed just like Ferrari VS Lamborghini :)

I think quality wise, they're all equal, and speed is the deciding factor...

Lorecanth
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Say that when you have a render due tommorow morning that you got assigned at 11 PM at night and its your ass if its not done.

Laserschwert
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Shader-wise MentalRay is a lot better, but regarding the fact that VRay is a relatively new renderer (especially compared to MR), that's not really surprising, and it still hast got room (and most probably plans) to improve.

PyroNeko
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
i dont actyallu have any experience with vray but i like mental ray better because i think it is more powerfull and it works well with max, especially hair

yuriythebest
07-24-2006, 02:39 PM
i dont actyallu have any experience with vray but i like mental ray better because i think it is more powerfull and it works well with max, especially hair

dude- I don't mean to insult you, however if you don't have any experience with something then don't offer your oppinion on it. Vray is way more faster and more powefull then MRay and hair & fir (if that is the hair tool you are using) is renderer-independent.

Bogged
07-24-2006, 06:53 PM
vray
obviously

yuriythebest
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
vray
obviously

finally some sanity in this place! *sits swallowing pills, droolling*

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.