PDA

View Full Version : First try at a lipsync animation in maya.

joeym4130
06-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Howdy all, here is my first post of a animation on this board, oh how exciting. lol.

I just graduated but mostly did more VFX and compositing while in school. I want to try my hand at something with personality so I did a lipsync in maya. I used a line from nemo (sorry i had to lol) I used a face rig i built from a tutorial online @ http://www.chiapperino.com so thats where the model came from.

I had a lot of fun doing it so i'm modeling and rigging up a character in the next few weeks so i can do some tests with a full body since a head can't act much on its own. Hopefully I can get the hang at this.

Like said, done in maya w/ blendshapes, no bones in the face as its a simple one, animated in about an hour and a half.
http://rapidshare.de/files/23939864/neeemo_2.mov.html

Chiko
06-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Hey there! Nice start you have, but it could use alot of work.

First off, I'm assuming it's a problems with the rig because it doesn't seem like the shapes match up the the words that are being said. It looks like every annunciation is an "e" sound.

Also it is very fast moving, and the clip is more of a dramatic moment where she's not popping her head around so much. I'd work on sloing it down a bit.

The eye movement following the head is very nice! Keep up the good work :D

joeym4130
06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
aye, thanks for the look at it. I think the rig might be a bit limited, im sure my technique has a bit to do with the mouthshapes too. I seem to focus more on the action of the eyes then the mouth though.

I should have called this my attempt at acting instead of a lipsync I guess lol. Acting with no body. I did all the head movement and eye shape movement first and added the mouth last, so its the least focused on.

Too fast moving? I always tend to do that. I like real snappy movements and I always forget to throw in a slow arc too.

I know in the movie its slower but I didnt use the movie as a reference at all, I was trying to do it all by listening to the audio alone. I will have to try slowing it down.

thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.