PDA

View Full Version : mental ray - render passes - newbie

blacknoise
06-24-2006, 01:03 AM
hi
i would like to learn how to create render passes with MRfM inside Maya. starting from the basics. how to create colour, diffuse, reflection, shadow, etc passes? where to start? do you know any good tutorials?

thanks.

Kenton Baines
06-24-2006, 01:54 AM
In the layers sidebar, click the render button and add render layers....change what you want rendered by modifying the attributes of, and adding objects to, the layers...

blacknoise
06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
thanks for response Kenton. do you know any tuts on this? i would like to know what's the best way to create reflection shaders, plane colour pass etc. i.e. if i create all the shaders/materials for my scene... then, do i have to create (i.e. for the reflection pass) a separate render pass layer and assign new reflective only shader to the objects?

Kenton Baines
06-25-2006, 02:07 AM
no, just make a seperate render layer, add the objects you want in the render layer, and set it to render reflections only in it's attributes window.

MSB
06-25-2006, 04:27 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=292913&highlight=render+pass

blacknoise
06-25-2006, 09:42 AM
thanks for your help guys. moving from xsi aint that easy. well, maybe im not moving but adding more tools into my workflow.

just need to spend more time with maya... which i begin to really like. thanks again!

tel
06-25-2006, 11:57 PM
hey... thanks for this topic.

like you im new with render pass in maya and have some questions.

1) how i can take reflection pass? I read the tutorial on maya wich say for i use shadow map for take RGB channels. Dont work. I readed a lot topics whic say many ways to do it, but i dont have sucess. (Please answer this)

2) sometimes my bach rende crash. stop render some frame and i have to config all passes again.

For now is this... i back with more soon. lol !

thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2006, 11:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.