06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
My first atemt in matte-painting:

Before:
http://www.cinema4d.nl/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=7280
after:
http://www.cinema4d.nl/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=7279

ts-falcon
06-24-2006, 07:33 AM
pretty awesome mate, id reccomend some dust swirls or something in from of the buldings it looks like the action is all behind them kinda making them look cutout and not relly integrated. try to blend the buildings in more and itll be great.

shrinkingviolet
06-24-2006, 10:17 AM
very nice first attempt. like the tones you got. I also agree with what Tim has said. Work on the building layers.

imho, you should have added some more detail before submitting this image...but, you can always add them. The building should have had a few cracks and missle hot spots on them. so also for the bridge, you can show a chunk of the bridge dangling or missing or falling into the water...also you need to work on lighting. the sun is over head but yet you haven't toned down the brighteness on the buildings facing the camera...add a lens flare to the sun. the lil boat on the left well you could have done something there as well. I guess if you add some debris on the bottom of the building and some more fires and missing areas on the buildings it'll look much better. so also work on the smoke. See a few images of missle/bomb strikes on cnn or some photography sites to get a better idea of the smoke layers. For that matter watch LOTR:ROTK. The mattes there are awesome. Watch some of them on Dylan Cole's Showreel...work some more on this. Work on the sky too...I'd love to see an next version to this image. ok now i must stop rambling...caio. nikhil.

btw thats an awesome ibanez render. :)

JJASSO
06-24-2006, 10:51 PM
hey synixz great first matte painting, I agree with ts_falcon and shrinkingviolet, about the buildings integration, and I think you need some strong highligts over the water , I liked how you painted light in the right sinking ship, that's the kind of light you should have in your buildings
always look for photo reference before you start doing a matte painting, you will train you eye to see how things look in real life and what elements you need to obtain a great composition/integration

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2006, 10:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.