PDA

View Full Version : CD mirror skin weight ??

robotbob
06-23-2006, 06:04 PM
learning skin and joints continues . . .

CD mirror skin weight.

has anyone found a way to get this working ?

i get this error message everytime

' i get some of the elements were not symmetrical - try adjusting the tolerances '

i have adjusted the tolerances but since i dont actually know what i am adjusting it feels kind of pointless. also my mesh is modeled from a symmetry object

'tolerance' options are
a)point = which is in the thousanth of a decemal
b ) and joint ??

hmmmmm m ???

cheers, any help much appreciated

pedro

gurke
06-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Hello,

i had the same problem with the Meg Character and found out that the points of the mirror axis of meg where not exactly set to 0.

After adjusting these points to 0 with the Set-Point-Value-Tool it worked.

Cheers

JensD

flyingP
06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
The mirror weight tools is perhaps the most unforgiving of the lot in Dan's tools, basically everything really needs to be symetrical, you only need one point out on the mesh to cause some fun, the joints also need to be symetrical

robotbob
06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
thanks for the reply - since most of my characters are stupid + weird so the auto weighter does not work very well. ( fat character ) hense the mirror weights tool would be very very handy.

dans tools are awesome and i am enjoying them but the lack of docs are making things difficult.

i have been very carefull and checked that everything is symetrical ( mesh + joints ) but the mirror tool never works for me. and i have spent more time trying to get it to work than it would have taken me to just paint the weights manually on both sides.

but i figured everything else works so well i must be doing something wrong.

ahhhh well. thanks for your reply mate.

pedro

robotbob
06-23-2006, 10:59 PM
and on a side note i just checked out your WIPS. fantastic !

robotbob
06-24-2006, 01:32 AM
ok i think i have found a way to get it going . . .

perhaps i was looking at it the wrong way as i was using the whole rig and the spine has no opersite other than itself ( but it would still be handy if it would mirror )

method

first auto skin and select only the arms top joint, fix the weights on one side then select the mirror tool and select only the top joint that you selected when auto skinning.

that seems to work. also the auto skinning works on the local axis when picking the direction.

i have not tried adding other joints like the legs yet, and trying the same procedure - but its 2 30 am now. . .

edit : select both left and right arms by using the shift key - this might not have been clear

Cactus Dan
06-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Howdy,

Yes, the mirror Skin Weight is very unforgiving at the moment. If one point is out of symmetry, it sees the whole thing as unsymmetrical. I'm going to look into making it a bit more forgiving in an update.

If you're sure that your mesh's axis is exactly on center, and you created the final mesh from a symmetry object, here something you can check: I've found that sometimes there can be some stray points somewhere. If you've already skinned the mesh, you can go to the bind pose and unbind the skin. Then in Points mode select all the points and use the Optimize tool. Then rebind the skin and try the mirror again.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

robotbob
06-24-2006, 10:44 AM
how about the spine ? is is supposed to work on a single joint chain situation ?

thanks

p

Cactus Dan
06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Howdy,
how about the spine ? is is supposed to work on a single joint chain situation ?
Yes it should work on the spine joint chain, but the spine joints have to be exactly on center.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

robotbob
06-24-2006, 11:48 PM
ok it was late last nite and i was carefull but not carefull enough. as long as you do what people have suggested here - it works and works well.

most notably optimize.

pedro

Cactus Dan
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Howdy,

Good News! I've managed to improve the CD Mirror Skin Weight so that it will now just flag the elements that are not symmetrical and go ahead and mirror the rest of the weights.

The new alert dialog will let you know that some weights may not have been mirrored:
http://www.cactus3d.com/NewMirrorAlert.jpg

Then it will go ahead and mirror what it can:
http://www.cactus3d.com/NewMirror.jpg

This will be in the next update. ;)

Adios,
Cactus Dan

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.