PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Reel

jsburakoff
06-23-2006, 03:40 PM
NOTE:
An update is a few posts down, thought I'd save new viewers the download time.

In a tradition I've been keeping up for years, I've slipped into summer spaz mode, which means spending all of my free time touching up my old stuff and making a new project or two and bundling up a reel for siggraph. So, here's the rough cut reel.

www.jimburakoff.com/websample.mov (http://www.jimburakoff.com/websample.mov)

My contributions etc will be on a sheet I'm making at the moment, but this is all my character animation. I lit, composited, etc all of the generic model shots (low man, generi). I did everything on the projector-bust, and the toon shaded stuff I threw on because the project hadn't gotten as far as final renders, lighting, or shading on more than a few shots (for the trailer). The cut scenes are from work I did on the Davinci Code game.
The music is from "Klezperonto" by the Klezmatics (klezmer fusion music).

I plan to be doing some simple animation fixes over the next week, so feel free to crit on that. Please no "you should totally change the acting on this shot" stuff, just because there's no way I'll actually have time.

It will have begining, end credits, but for now:

Jim Burakoff
jim@jimburakoff.com

Crit me up! ;-)
Thanks

lemonyfresh
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't like the music, but I don't like music on any demo reels especially when there's audio for voices or effects. I would like to see some titles in the reel or some sort of convention to tell me what I am supposed to be looking at, you know animation or modeling or rendering. It sees pretty clear your an animator, but I would like to have you clarify it.

jsburakoff
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree with you on music in reels, but enough people seem to actually care about it that I'm going to keep it. I may kill the music from the first piece and do some SFX, depending on time. Personally, I like the way it flows a decent amount.

I'll be adding titles shortly, start and finish, that will include "James Burakoff: Character Animator" to clue people in, and I'll be including a breakdown that covers the specifics with the reel.

Thanks for the crit!

Anyone else?

lutonomy
06-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey man,

Looking pretty good. In my opinion, the intro animation needs to be shorter or reworked some, especially since it's the first thing. There's too much linear movement (evenness and not enough arcs), the big jerk backwards is awkward because the head is leading, and it's not very clear what's going on. I like the old generi a lot - really good job with the timing and weight on that. A couple of the shots are so fast and minimal they seem kind of pointless (davinci where you just see the heads turn in the truck or the gun, etc.) and like filler. The boat I would rework the spacing on the arms. It doesn't seem like water because the oars get stuck too long (spacing too close) and then the release is too fast. Rowing should be a pretty fluid motion. Since you're not doing acting reworks, I would take out the last dialogue shot. It just doesn't work very well in my opinion, and is definitely the weakest of all the shots.

Hope I'm not being too harsh, just trying to help and give you my honest opinions. Good luck!

jsburakoff
06-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the crit man, and you're totally right about the lead in, my main goal for the next week is reworking that. The idea was to keep it linear for creepy robotic, but it just reads as lazy to most of the people who've critted me on it ;-)

On the rowing I was going for cartoony exagerated, but I may go through it a bit more and see if I can smooth some of it out.

The last acting shot, I'm up and down on, some people like it a lot, some people don't at all. I appreciate the feedback, and if anyone else looking at this has opinions one way or the other on that I'm more than all ears. Currently, I'm working on making the eyebrows do a lot more, I think that'll help the shot, also, I'm going to tone down his giant wind up for the table punch, make it a bit more natural.

I kind of have to keep all of the davinci code stuff, for its recognizability if nothing else. I'd cut it if it wasn't my only comercial work, but a few people I've talked to have agreed that it's worth having in just to say "I can work on a real project with real animators, not exercises!". I'm going to consider taking the gun out... consider it a lot... and then probably do it.

And as for harsh, that was exactly the kind of crit I'm looking for, honest, polite, constructive.

jsburakoff
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Okay, I've re-tooled the intro animation and cut a fair amount of fluff (I needed animators to help me pull the sticky bandaid that was the german scene in person). Note that I am aware that the encoding isn't great and that the title card flashes once at the very end, I'm getting to fixing it, but I have a fair amount of other stuff to do at the same time.

Any comments?

www.jimburakoff.com/websample2.mov (http://www.jimburakoff.com/websample2.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.