PDA

View Full Version : Ref in transform pallete

diginime
06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi, i have a silly question here. What is the use of the Ref in the transform pallete? I read through the manual but i don't quite understand it's function. Pick XXX reference...Can anyone explain each one to me? Thanks.

misterdi
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
As it said, Ref is reference mode.

With Ref, XSI change the translate axis using the reference. For example, create a cone and a sphere, put the sphere close to the top of the cone. Activate Ref mode, and right click on the button, in the context menu select pick edge reference, in the picking session select the cone (it will highlighted with edge selection filter) then select one of the edge.
The translate axis of the sphere should then changed to conform with that edge and moving in X direction will move the sphere along that edge.

This is also working with component.

Regards,

diginime
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I do as you said so but it seem didn't have any changes...The axes just rotate a bit at the same place...

dwigfor
06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Try this - create a sphere, change to ref mode(poly), u, select a poly on the bottom of the sphere. Notice the axis. now go back to ref mode(poly), u, and select a poly near the top of the sphere (not one in the same loop). Notice the change in axis.

Make sense?

It also works with multiple items selected. For instance, top of a cylinder, select all the polys.

diginime
06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Try this - create a sphere, change to ref mode(poly), u, select a poly on the bottom of the sphere. Notice the axis. now go back to ref mode(poly), u, and select a poly near the top of the sphere (not one in the same loop). Notice the change in axis.

Make sense?

It also works with multiple items selected. For instance, top of a cylinder, select all the polys.

Choose Pick Polygon Reference? I don't quite understand your instuction.

dwigfor
06-23-2006, 06:47 PM
okay.. Select the sphere, u, pick a poly up top, hit v, notice the axis. Now right click Ref and choose Pick Polygon Reference. Pick the poly you previously selected. Notice the axis change?

Make better sense? :shrug:

diginime
06-24-2006, 03:46 AM
okay.. Select the sphere, u, pick a poly up top, hit v, notice the axis. Now right click Ref and choose Pick Polygon Reference. Pick the poly you previously selected. Notice the axis change?

Make better sense? :shrug:

Ohh..Finally i found it. But what is the major purpose for using Ref?

bryann
06-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Ohh..Finally i found it. But what is the major purpose for using Ref?
Well, when you need to transform something and none of the other options will work, it's quite handy. One instance of this is when moving edge loops. While the Tweak tool is pretty handy, it is often not the most accurate when sliding along the face of a polygon. This is particularly true for tweaking low poly models for games.

Often times, if you use the Tweak tool, you will have one set of axes and then after you move it, the axes changes ever so slightly after the movement. It's much simpler, at least for me, to use the face of the polygon or an edge as a reference instead.

The Tweak tool is pretty powerful but there are times when you need a more exact level of control. There are obviously other uses for using references but this is the situation in which I use them the most. Other situations could include extruding a polygon parallel or perpendicular to an edge/polygon, aligning, animating, etc. It's the answer to the question of, "I need this to move/align/rotate/animate this along/around/parallel/perpendicular to this other thing I already have. How can I do this quickly?" It's not always the best answer but it's another tool in the toolbox.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2006, 05:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.