PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Rendering

dwigfor
06-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi friends,

I had a question about Satellite Rendering.

@Work question: I think we have 4 copies of XSI Ess (5.11)-all running from 1 license file. If no one else is running XSI, how many CPUs can I use for Satellite Rendering? Can I use the cpus from the other ESS licenses?

Also, how hard is it to set up Satellite Rendering? Does it just involve installing the rendering engine and modifying a txt file to include the names of the computers? I did a quick read thru the installation guide, but was wondering if this was more like a 30 min project or a 3 hour project..

@Home question: Do I need to upgrade my 100BaseT network to gigabit ethernet? Does that involve getting new network cards only, or do I also need new cables. Does gigabit ethernet use something other than Cat5 cable?

Also, I've got 2 main computers and a Celeron computer at home. Would I be able to install the full copy of XSI and also the Render Engine on the same machine? Is it even worth trying to wire in the Celeron (I think it's 2.8ghz-forget how much ram I've got in there)?

Thanks everyone,
-Dave

dwigfor
06-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Anyone use Satellite Rendering?

ProXell
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
For rendering in production - most of the companies use distribute rendering, but if you whant more interactive in previzzz stage - you can allsow use sat rendering - but it very dependeble for network and machine park, it does have only *2 additional productivity - every added machine in sat rendering rise productivity at 1,5 and geometricaly down.
Try to search another way of distrib machine per frame rendering....

3DDave
06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
4 Satellite CPU's are the limit for ESS, it doesn't matter how many more ESS licenses you have.

Setup for Satellite is fairly easy if you know networking under windows. The hard part is getting custom shaders to work, to do that you need to setup accounts and passwords for the RAYSAT service and a Workgroup for shaders.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.