PDA

View Full Version : SDS Workflow...

zenderx
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi all...
I do not get what is the "right" workflow with SDS modeling.
What is usualy done when modeling with SDS?
If i'm modeling something, should i model it using the SDS ON all the time or i should move from ON to OFF during the modelling process?
Can i model a hard body and use the SDS on a group of polys instead on the whole model?

Thanx.

Z

blacknoise
06-25-2006, 09:43 AM
which app do you use?

i use xsi and modo for modeling. i tend to model with polys for most of the time, sometimes i do start with nurbs curves and generate basic shapes by lofting them into poly mesh. in xsi you just press "+" or "-" to go into SDS mode and in modo you just press "tab". i model with poly and from time to time i switch to sds just to see how the shape looks like after smoothing.

the more you model the more you would want to stay in poly mode as you are able to predict the look of your object after smoothing without switching.

in all the apps i know you can model some part in poly, something with sds, some with nurbs etc. it's not a problem. it's up to you.

xtrudethis
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Primitive>box out basic form>subd preview>cut in details.....repeat where required :)

zenderx
06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
thanx you both blacknoise (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=90080) and xtrudethis (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=200322).
I use maya and modo....
what basically u r saying is that if i want to model a non smoothed object, i should use polygonal modeling and not SDS?
Say i have created a model in modo, can i sudivide only a part of it? can i do it and maintain the model un-smooth on the edges of the model?

Thanx once again.

Z

xtrudethis
06-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I was refering to box modeling the forms, which is SDS, at the lowest levels of smooth/subd you require....

Others may prefer to go at things poly by poly, I perfer to box things out, as the volume of your object is already established at the basic form....

have fun :)

Nii
06-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Just a question on that, I remember that SDS modeling is pretty reliant on edgeloops for a good mesh. When you box model organic character such as a human, do you ever just make cuts/edge slice in the mesh where you need to extrude? Or do you do an entire loop slice to preserve all edge loops?

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2006, 01:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.