PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk Daily Sketch 751 :NO TIME SKETCH: "Missing posters for our members" - Monday

RobertoOrtiz
06-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Monday's Topic is:

"Missing posters for our members"
(draw a missing poster, for those members that have been missing for a while)

I will be in Montreal this weekend, so I will NOT have internet connection.
So during the day I will be posting the topics for the weekend.

WAIT until the day defore posting your drawing!.

Wanna learn to Post? >>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php/?t=267104)
Have a Suggestion? >>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php/?t=145003)
Do you a Topic for us? >>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php/?t=145003)

These are the rules:

You have 50 MN to do your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired, along with the FINAL drawing.
Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
They can be done on any medium.
If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
Only original compositions. No "tributes" or plagiarizing, unless is it an integral part of the challenge.
You can post an entry at anytime for the topic presented on this thead BEFORE the voting thread for THE WEEK has been posted.
The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
The topics will be picked at random from the list on the TOPICS thread >>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php/?t=145003)
(The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them).
Good luck

-Roberto

cypherx
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
boy, I don't want to be the one to say it, but is it just me, or did the topics take a nose-dive? I guess you can't really make everyone happy all of the time, but I wouldn't feel inspired to do any of the topics while you're away. This one wouldn't be bad, except I don't even know any of the other members, and certainly wouldn't notice if they're not around.

ClausSimonsen
06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
boy, I don't want to be the one to say it, but is it just me, or did the topics take a nose-dive? I guess you can't really make everyone happy all of the time, but I wouldn't feel inspired to do any of the topics while you're away. This one wouldn't be bad, except I don't even know any of the other members, and certainly wouldn't notice if they're not around.

Ah, I feel so unloved.:sad:

JTD
06-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Just paint Roberto since he's the one who's gone. He looks like this:

luciferous
06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
this is a bit of an oddball of a topic.. but it shows how much of a lose community we are, theres one or two people most people recognise on sight but thats about it really the rest of us are icebergs bumping in the night

tis quite a shame really.. cos I LOVE YOU GUYS!.... ahem

Novak002
06-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Not to offend anyone, but ya these topics lately. Just, uhg, dont motivate me. Maybe thats just my opinion.

theoxygenthief
06-24-2006, 03:24 AM
I feel the same, the topic's don't pull me lately, but i thought it's just personal preference.... it's a difficult thing to get right, there's a very fine line between too specific and not specific enough.... i wouldn't call it anything but a short term slump.

CGriffin
06-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey, you know you CAN suggest topics, guys...

cypherx
06-24-2006, 06:11 PM
haha Vison, have you been gone?

Quickreaver, I have made a couple of suggestions, I've also seen a few good ones, none of which have been used. Can't speak for anyone else on that count though.

embryotic
06-25-2006, 02:28 AM
cypherx you can make a missing poster for your topics!

Sometimes I agree that the topics arent the most inspiring but thats when you need to interpret them in a way that appeals more personably - That's the ticket.

I imagine it would be crappy to be a concept artist creating images to a 100% specification - no artistic interpretation allowed - THAT would suck.

Yo cypherx have you checked out the speed painting forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=18932)? its pretty cool, you can just bang out what ever you want there.

:twisted: ...Lets run amok whilst Roberto's away...:twisted:

cypherx
06-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I've seen the speedpaint thread. I think the problem with that (as well as several other threads around here, so I'm not picking on it), is that all the really good artists get feedback, and instead of people giving any crit to the artists who could use some work, they just neglect to even mention them. It seems pointless to share on those grounds alone, if not for interacting with other people, there's no real point in sharing, you know?

It becomes more of a competition on who can actually get a "awesome" or something akin to that, as opposed to just enjoying it for what it is. Perhaps that's my overactive imagination though, I suppose I could be wrong.

Runecaster
06-25-2006, 04:54 PM
You are spot on Cypher. Spot on - at least in threads like the Speed Paint.

WIP is a little different, the ones with more glaring issues get crits first, while ones that take a little more thought get passed over for the most part.

Ashton
06-26-2006, 08:09 AM
cypherx - I think you have a good point. It takes skill and time to give real feedback. Most of the feedback I have seen is fairly biased towards what is obviously good work.

Frankly I would suggest there is room here for somebody to actually make some money, giving considered feedback. Certainly that is worth paying for imo.

luciferous
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
money would be nice... but would it not be more in the spirit of things for each of us to make a little more effort, say set a personal goal for example, when the next daily sketch comes round we have a pop at it and each of us complaining here ( i among them) try to give detailed feedback to someone we normally would pass over?

and give feedback to a different person each time we take part, spread the spirit and hand of friendship a community like this should show to each other... remember that 99.9% of us are kindred spirits in one aspect... art

remember, evil begets evil... surely it works the same way with a lil kindness?

cypherx
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I really didn't mean to turn this thread into something it wasn't, Roberto.

As for feedback, I'm just as guilty of not giving feedback haha. I think it's because in the past people have taken any advice I've given as some sort of personal attack on them, and often times with the more experienced artists, they're quite used to getting crit so they don't take it quite as personal.

When someone has a really long way to go, I like to assume they know (hey, I'm well aware of myself, and have been since I started drawing), and if I see a piece that is lacking in both concept and execution, it's very difficult to crit it at all, so I guess I can relate to all those who just opt not to say anything at all. I guess no one really has the time to put forth the effort to make a detailed crit on EVERY piece, only to have the artist completely ignore it anyhow, take offense, or say "my way is better"... It becomes an exersise in futility at best. yay.

The problem I was really trying to point out was with some of the threads, people seem to for one, have their favorite artists lined out already in their head, comment on those pople alone, or only comment on the REALLY good pieces (which of course DO indeed deserve a pat on the back).

But what of the pieces that fall in the middle, they have a great concept, but poor execution, or vice versa, and a little advice could help them out quite a bit. In the end I think that instead of getting excellent advice in forums like this, we get some of our best advice from [artist] friends who're able to remain objective, and ourselves after looking at a piece a few days after completing it and seeing how much it lacks. Of course I never finish anything, so this is all theory and no practice for me :p

Anytime anyone notes me asking for advice, I tend to respond, just because I've gotten so much help along the way, it seems completely cold not to pay it forward.

JTD
06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I couldn't read all that but I'm making a poster for Vitriolic. I'll post here in this...uh, post...when it's completed.:)

PS7/ Intuous3/ 2 1/2 hours
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/jtdv/DSF_751_Missingpostersforourmembers.jpg

Octothreat
06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
What ever happened to Taron33....:sad:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1917/751missing0hg.jpg

Sneakybunny
06-26-2006, 11:17 PM
cool topic i might save a spot for my one... i'll think i'll choose Goro, i miss that big ball of fluff.:scream:

RobertoOrtiz
06-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Just paint Roberto since he's the one who's gone. He looks like this:
LOL!!!

Well I am back guys from the races...
Well we better get this forum back in shape...

_R

luciferous
06-27-2006, 04:53 AM
its been bedlam with out you roberto.. bedlam i say!

Gord-MacDonald
06-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I've seen the speedpaint thread. I think the problem with that (as well as several other threads around here, so I'm not picking on it), is that all the really good artists get feedback, and instead of people giving any crit to the artists who could use some work, they just neglect to even mention them. It seems pointless to share on those grounds alone, if not for interacting with other people, there's no real point in sharing, you know?

It becomes more of a competition on who can actually get a "awesome" or something akin to that, as opposed to just enjoying it for what it is. Perhaps that's my overactive imagination though, I suppose I could be wrong.

Hi cypherx

I post to the speedpaints (not lately - tonnes of "pay the mortgage" contracts getting in the way :sad: )

It is great when I get feedback (not all that often) but I look at feedback (or the lack thereof) in part as a barometer of the quality of my work. I keep going even without it. I look at it as an incentive to push myself harder and harder. The day that I get feedback from the 'choosen few' consistantly would be a pretty good indicator that I am making progress.

With DSG I think things are a bit different - less hard core. DSG has been a great community since I became part of it 2 years ago - generally great encouragement to all levels of participants. Great sense of community and support. I really think that DSG is a really good place for people at all levels to hang out.

oh and ya - sometimes I find some of the topics a little uninspiring, but some topics I just can't get into, others people produce fantastic work in. Oh well...

(exuse the ramblings - I have just finished one of those horrible "pay the mortgage" contracts, and am celebrating with a bit of wine). Hey I have a great Idea! why don't I close off this post, stop w(h)ining and do some drawing! :)

Gord

daw
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
no inspiration today, but looked back on this (http://www.dplays.se/cgtalk/259_3.jpg) old piece from AW 259 and most of them are missing:sad:

se7enthcin
06-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Daw, it's true, it's soooo true. I miss them :sad:

protocoldoug
06-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Title: Missing Poster
App: Corel Painter IX
Tools: Pencil (2b), Vine Charcoal, Blender Stump, Bleaching Eraser
Time: 30 Mins

I'm a bit tooooo new to know any of the members (aside from Fried who I know from freenode), so... Here's my generic missing poster.

http://weblogimages.com/static/bhj486676vy3.jpg

embryotic
06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
this must be a new DSF record - 23 posts and just 1 picture - we really have matured ... like a good wine.... and every once in a while we have a good whine. :D

Wiggin
06-28-2006, 03:15 AM
I don't have time to do a painting today. But I miss InesD. Nicest girl ever, and gave crits for everyone. sigh...:shrug: i'll do a painting later if I can.

Sagii
06-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I remember doing DSG number 1 and 2 and 3 etc lol its been a long time since then. I go missing and then come back, and then go missing again :P But I always come back to my beloved daily sketch.

Sagii
06-28-2006, 07:03 AM
no inspiration today, but looked back on this (http://www.dplays.se/cgtalk/259_3.jpg) old piece from AW 259 and most of them are missing:sad:

Well daw, you ate us all :eek:

daw
06-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Well daw, you ate us all :eek:

burp! oops...;)

embryotic
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
heres one for AndrewLey

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1448/missing6bp.jpg
2hrs ps wacom
Refd his Avatar and Gary Oldman fm HP

Indavisual
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
50 min. Photoshoped. Only hting not handdrawn is Rob's avatar. :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/IndaDark/50-Min.jpg

robinayles
06-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey congrats to all of you who actually drew sketches, all well done!

I admit to being MISSING lately myself. Been going through a divorce and I haven't felt very creative, but I've tried to show up now and again as a cheering section.Next up for me, a new job...so we'll see if that makes me any more creative at the end of the day! HA! :scream:

JTD
06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Geez, Robin. That's one of the most stressful psychological events a person can go through (other than being eaten alive). Don't do it alone.:sad: Good luck on your new job!

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.