PDA

View Full Version : The Gift - VFX Challenge - CobraX

CobraX
01-14-2003, 12:43 PM
...Okkk, let's see what i can do with this Enormous challenge.

SheepFactory
01-20-2003, 05:20 AM
we want update :)

:bounce:

CobraX
01-21-2003, 03:23 AM
Crappy "storyboards" just as a reference...

This is how she discovers the green Orb of DOOM.... the LOk NAr!!!

CobraX
01-21-2003, 03:35 AM
And here is how the effect begins... she stands up with the orb between her hands, and suddenly a fast green beam enters her body.

Nothing seems to happen toher. But her eyes start to shine, with a green or very white light...while some tiny lightning bolts travel around her.

Then she starts to get convulsions when you can see the place where the beam hit her starts glowing from the inside inside of her, green obviously.

...for the rest i am very unsure of what to do... either i'll go with a very crispy disintegration or with a blobby body disembodiment...

What i need is to shoot thescene first then model etc etc... we'll see later for the final effect, i guess.

CobraX
01-23-2003, 01:02 AM
What do you think about this place for the shot? is it too dark? or is it perfect?

CobraX
01-23-2003, 01:03 AM
There is a little box in the bottom right of my previous picture...which look like this in which the Lok Nar ( Green ORb) could be...

Knut
01-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Cobrax...The locations looks very good...maybe perfect.
As for the box..i don't know, i don't like boxes like that..besides they did not have it in a wooden box in the movie, only a hightech one. Or did they? I'm not sure. But i really liked your loaction, you might have to colourcorrect it into some more sinister colour when you are finished filming. Looks good so far.

CobraX
01-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Thanx Knut for your comment on the location. :D

Now for the box.... i had some ideas...

What about making the Sphere levitate in the air connected by some energy field to somekind of support...well i mean can i make this in 3D and make it look good? hummm not sure 'bout that though...

But i have to say that the box is the only prop that i have to make it look ok, now if i want to change to another item it has to be in 3D...

And also, will your ORB be in 3D??????

Knut
01-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Levitate and energy field sounds good. I know the box looks good, but it does not fit in the enviroment, what about it (Lok nar) being hidden in some junk and when the victim gets close, it starts to light up and levitate...or something

Knut
01-23-2003, 01:24 AM
And i have not decided on how to design my efect yet, so i don't know if it (lok nar) will be in 3d

Cogliostros
01-23-2003, 02:44 AM
That location is very promising, I like it a lot.

As for the box idea, I'm having my orb reveal itself from the box, float up, and release its fury...(see the official CG Challenge page for my story) so if you wan't to do a similar concept, go for it, its a challenge right? But I agree with Knut in that, the box doesn't really fit into the location as of yet.

Once I saw your location an array of ideas sparked... you have lots of potential to reveal the orb in that scene.

I could see it coming from a square slab of concrete or the material from the ground, through the walls, pipes, or the light itself... :D

johs
01-23-2003, 08:52 AM
It's a nice location you have found, its almost the same kind of enviroment I have found. (I guess it's that kind of places green evil orbs hang around ;) )
I'm planing to make my orb in 3D, but I will also have a (green painted) football to stand in and interact with objects and the actor in the scene. Since my orb has to be hidden under some rags, there has to be somthing to make the hump in the rags. And also when the actor picks it up, I think it wil look better if he really has an object in his hands (withc will be replaced in post), instead of having him pretend to carry somthing in his hands.

CobraX
01-23-2003, 07:31 PM
I have been thinking of maybe making the girl run into this room where a Witchcraft ritual could be prepared where the ORB would be "Worshiped" and it starts to attract her, or as i have been suggested, the ORB could start fly to her and land in her hands.

Then she disappears.

About the Lok Nar - Green Orb - It, do you guys think i can take a tennis ball to make it interact with the actor?

johs
01-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Yes i don't see why you can't use a tennis ball, the importent thing is that it has almost the same size as you want the Lok Nar.
I want to use a football because it's that size i want. Also the actor will grab it with both hands, and holding a real ball wil help him hold his hands in the rigth palce. I can also track it, and key it. But one thing is for sure: I am going to shoot the scene about 100 times: with the ball, without the ball, with greenscreen, without greenscreen, with green light and without.....etc. and each shot more than one time, just to be sure.

CobraX
01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
johs 100 times!!!..greenscreen!!! :D awesome :) it really sounds promising :) Really professionnal i can say! Do you work in the industry?

I have another question regarding the lighting, i have only 2 sources of light or one i think in the room...which gives it suck a dark atmosphere...but now what about the actor won't it be too dark ???????

Are you going to use spotlights, or other kinds of lighting sources? And is the green screen essential to the shot?..... i am asking the question to johs, but the questions i ask here GO to EVERYONE in the challenge...reading this post of course :p

Thank you.... i am about to start shooting some tests....

Again, good luck to everyone!!!!!!! :buttrock:

johs
01-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, the greenscreen is only a big piece of cloth, (I don't know the name for the type of cloth in english, but it's "filt" in danish (werry useful information for all of you who don't understand danish :D )) so it's not so cool as it sounds :)

I don't know if the light in your scene is enough to light the actor proberly, that depends on where and how you plan to shoot it.

I just rembered a clever thing. Once I got my hands on a strange piece of video footage, witch contained somthing called a "gobo".
It was a recording from a studio, with an armchair in the middel of a stage, and a studio lighting was set. Then all the light went off, and only one lit again, and it shone on the armchair for a short time, then it went of and another light shone on the chair from a difrent angle in a short time. That continued until all the lights had been lit seperatly, for a short time.
If all these video pieces, where only one light at a time lit the chair, are combined in a compositings program, then we have somthing werry close to render passes, where each light can be adjusted seperatly in post.
I have never really tried to do it, but i think it will work really good, and I think it wil be perfect for this project, since i then can colorcorrect my lights seperatly.
Perhaps this way you can also light the entire scene with only one or two spots, and then combine it in post.

I hope you got the idea.
(I promise that I wil go out and by me an english dictionary one of theese days ;) )

Knut
01-24-2003, 12:20 AM
I think "filt" is the same as "felt" in english.
"filt" is similar to the widely used (in theaters, broadcast etc) Molton, whitch is a flame retardent fabric. You don't need any of those, but you need a large even surface of a bright saturated green hue with a very matt(frosted) surface.

Johs-->that is THE way to do cg lighting i think. Can be confusing in the start but is very flexible in the comping. I did that for the garbage cans in my earthquake shot. Used a layer for key, fill, rim and bounce, plus some sfx layers like shadow and ambient occlusion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.