PDA

View Full Version : Short Dolphin Animation: Plz critic...

chepe297
01-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi All

I've just finished a short dolphin animation. The purpose of this is to create an believable underwater environment from animating the caustic to volumetric lighting from the sun.

Please give me some feedback. Thank-you all. :)
By the way, as I am concentrating on the effects and animation, everything was created by me apart from the dolphin model (from Discreet) and the sound effects (from Sound Dogs).

kindly regards,
pete

Mpeg (0.98MB)
http://ziggwi.com/V3/main/gallery/pete/animation/downloads/05/m05.zip

QuickTime (2.28MB)
http://ziggwi.com/V3/main/gallery/pete/animation/downloads/05/q05.zip

FKMaster
01-14-2003, 06:48 PM
the swim-wave-motion are too linear.....swim down -->faster (more swing)...swim up --> slow down...

Rogue
01-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Hmmm, I'm not getting a sense of the dolphins effort to swim through the water. I'm not sure what to tell you to try. I sort of feel the rear fins aren't propelling them. They appear to be just following the part of the dolphin before it as opposed to being forced through the water. Does that make any sense?

Maybe if the fin and end section of the body could have some more overlap and lag than the other parts of the body. I think you could also try the fin having more tension at the top and bottom of it's motion. That way they'll have to accelerate through the water, hopefully giving the appearance of the water's resistance. But I could be wrong with that whole suggestion. See if you can find some reference footage of some dolphins, then you can see what they are doing with thier tail fins to propel them.

chepe297
01-14-2003, 08:23 PM
FKMaster - Good point! Thanks for that.

Rogue - Thanks for the detailed analysis. I don't have a reference footage, but I am currently looking for one.

thesaint
01-15-2003, 06:46 AM
fish and mammels don't swim the whole time. They work in these concentrated moments then back off and coast / steer.

The motion looks like it is attached to a path of some kind, which is why you get that very symmetrical, sin like movement (i don't know for sure, but it looks like it to me).

Dolphins have a certain amount ability to move their heads during swimming, and they do look around.

The other posters are really pushing you in the right direction, listen to thier advice would be my advice! They are telling you just the right things.

I would do a more concentrated review, but frankly, i'm sick of underwater scenes right now... If i never see another fish.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.