PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Shading artifacts

Bucket
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
The object closer to the camera has the obvious weird artifacts that occur in realtime and in a final rendering. The object further away is the same object but with disconnected components.

I've seen this happen in other 3d apps like Maya and C4D and it happens with objects that are riggid. I think it has something to do with gouraud shading or some kind of shading that tries to interpolate and smooth out the differences between polygons.

Is there another way to prevent this without losing the smooth shading of the beveled edges? I'd rather not have to disconnect components whenever this happens.

depol
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
try turn on Geometry Approximation - Polygon Mesh - Angle-based normals (slower)

gent_k
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't suggest that.

Just decrease the discontinuity angle (under geometry approximation) to something lower than the default 60 in XSI.

For reference I think 3dsMax's default is 35, and Maya's is 30 ... but I'm not sure.

In your object I think 30-40 would be good, and are usually good values for polygon models (when you don't intend to use subDs).

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.