PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Middle Earth - The One Ring - Mangaka604

Mangaka604
01-14-2003, 06:52 AM
Alright. Here's my idea:

1) Two characters saunter into scene, one small, sniveling orc and the other a large, "stereotypical" knuckle-dragging ogre with buckteeth.
<2 secs>
2) They spot the "Ring" sitting on the ground. <2 secs>
3) Not to miss opportunity, the orc quickly grabs the ring and puts it on. <3 seconds>
4) He starts mimicking the ogre and poking fun at his buckteeth.
<3 seconds>
5) While in a knuckledragging pose, the ring slips off the finger and what used to be his invisible joke is revealed to the ogre. Awkward moment for orc. <3-4 secs>
6) Ogre delivers the one-punch and orc is pummeled off-screen
<20-25 frames>

15 seconds = 375 frames total.

Hopefully will get it done. Oh yea, haven't really animated much in Maya before...just in Soft3D for a 3 years. Oooo...graphic icons instead of text buttons. :love:

sinbad
01-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Mangaka604

I'll reply to your entry, as noone has replied to mine yet! (I'm new to the community, perhaps thats why)
Anyway, very nice idea! look forward to some tests...

good luck!

levin
01-16-2003, 04:40 PM
great idea man!!!

reallly funny!!

i wish i can conjure stuff like this....

can't wait:thumbsup:

Mangaka604
01-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Hey all,

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this...the last little while I've been working on my ongoing demoreel. Anyways, here's the two characters. The big green ogre guy is pretty much done and rigged. The goblin-like creature is, well, still modeling. Lite enuf to work with and easy to model so far. :thumbsup:

I'll make up a animatic pretty soon...need new scanner first however. Oh yea, btw, my videocard's cooling fan is on it's last legs soon...so if you don't see anything for the next few days...well, you know why. Boourns....

Cheers.

DIMO
01-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Hi,

how is your transition from soft3d to maya? From my experience changing from one package to another is harder than learning 3D at all. ("Hey, in my package this would be soooo easy, where is this stupid button...")

How exactly are you showing that the orc is invisible? Or do you really plan to let him disappear?

IMO Your goblin looks much better than your ogre. I think you should bring the two characters two the same level.

Cheers

DIMO

Mangaka604
01-23-2003, 03:49 PM
DIMO>> I started using Maya again just over a year ago. It was a little difficult at first I'll admit, mostly at a modeling stand point. I had used Maya before (back when it was 2.5) but that was in school doing basic stuff. And yea, figuring out how to do something in the Maya when you know exactly how to do it in Soft is sometimes a bit frustrating. But since I'm mainly an animator anyhow, I find Maya fairly strong in animation tools. It's F-curve editor isn't as user-friendly or robust as Soft's but the amount of rigging tools and it's dopesheet is great.

To make the orc dissapear, I'll probably just either animate the materials on the orc/goblin to something close to transparent or just do a hide/unhide on the entire character. I think the transparent material will be better since then I can show that he's hidden but still allow the audience to see what he's doing.

Yea I know the goblin looks better. I spent maybe an hour and a half on the ogre for modeling and rigging. Spent almost 3 hours on the goblin. Anyways, since this is an animation challenge, I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on the models. I need to start animating soon before work (the one that pays the bills) gets busy.

Cheers!

Stephen Vyas
01-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey Nice Script!! Hope things go well for you in maya.
I'll be sure to stop by from time to time to see how things are goin.
Really lookin forward to seeing it!:bounce:

Cheers
Steve

Mangaka604
02-24-2003, 06:42 AM
Hey all,

Alright, FINALLY got the chance to get started on animating last week. I've got the first half of the animation done, minus the facial animation and it's also missing some offsetting in some areas ('specially in the Ogre) but lemme know what you think so far.

First Half of animation QTversion (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/FirstPass.mov)

Here's a Divx version (900K) for quicker downloads (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/FirstHalfDIVX.avi)

Cheers,
Steve

DIMO
02-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi,
better late than never!

Things look good. They both have their own character. I think the action of the small guy isn't clear enough. Is he holding the ring in the air to get a better look at it? or does he throw it ? If he looks at it he has to hold the pose a bit longer so he has time to look. If he throws the ring in the air, then his hand gets to high.

Nevertheless I hope you can get it done

Mangaka604
02-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Actually, it's neither of the two. He's doing his victory pose after he gets the ring...sorta like jumping for joy.

DIMO
02-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Ups,

Now as you say ...

Perhaps you can find a way to make the pose stronger.

Mangaka604
02-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Hmm...yea. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe have both arms in the air and have his legs kick back like a cheerleader or something like that. Something fun. :p

I'll post another update later tonite.

Mangaka604
02-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey all,

Here's the latest anim. Just some final tweaks left but everything is basically there.

Enjoy!

The One Ring - DivX (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/TheOneRingTest03.avi)

Mangaka604
02-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Hhmrm, no critiques yet? I guess everyone is working on their shots. Well, I know the Goblin's arm intersects towards the end of the shot but I've fixed that now. Other tweaks added...

I should be posting up my Final version for the challenge by tonight. Stupid GMT time...it's 8 hours ahead of me. Good luck to all the other animators out there...some good stuff. :beer:

Cheers,
Steve

TRi-14
02-28-2003, 04:32 AM
hehehe, silly characters. cool animation bud.

Mangaka604
02-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Alrighty..

Here's my final version of my animation for the challenge here at CGTalk.

720x576 HiRes DivX version (6MB) (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/FIN_theoneringDivx.avi)

720x576 HiRes Quicktime Soren3 version (33MB) (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/FIN_theoneringSoren3.mov)

360x288 LoRes Quicktime Soren3 version (12MB) (http://www.infoserve.net/stevo/CGtalk/FIN_theoneringSoren3small.mov)

All are in 16X9 format. Enjoy!

:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.