PDA

View Full Version : IK rigging problem

guitarplayer6516
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
hey, im trying to make a ball character like the one seen on AM (in MAYA) for practice, and i've gotten to the rigging stage and have a question about IK. (im a beginner here, so this might be a dumb question.) but when i link the hip and ankle joints together, and test it out, the knee bends the wrong way.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1303/screenhunter59qt.jpg

if theres any other IK rigging tutorial out there that people know of that would be able to share with me that would be great too.

thankyou

stewartjones
06-21-2006, 02:35 PM
This site has a few good tutorials, check out the reverse foot one and it should put you in the right direction!

http://www.rigging101.com/

alec.tron
06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Heya,
looks like your joints were bent the wrong way (or were totally straight...) when you created the IK Solver. The IK Solver, and it s behaviour in which direction its bending in, depends on the joint's initial angle to each other, so make shure you have them bent a little in the direction to where you want them to bent to when it s driven by an IK System, because that essentially defines your Rotate Plane the IK will work on...
c.

rustymclellan
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
hey there,

Alec.tron is right, maya sets the preferred angle of the bend joint (elbow or knee) based upon the initial bend in the limb. If you need to have your joint chain completely strait (which is oftent he case in toon style rigs), you can go in (before you set your IK of course), select the middle joint, rotate it in the direction you wish it to bend, set preferred angle (under animation-->skeleton-->set preferred angle) on the bend joint, and then rotate the joint back into place. Now when you set up your IK handle, the chain should bend the way you want it to. Hope this helps.

rusty

guitarplayer6516
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
oh sweetness! thanks guys. worked like a charm

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.