PDA

View Full Version : Do Tyan boards clash with Quadros?

bruha
01-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi

I'm putting together my final spec for a dual AMD, which looks something like this:

Processor AMD Athlon MP 2200+
Motherboard Tyan Tiger MPX
Memory Corsair 512MB 266MHz PC-2100 ECC DDR Registered CL2.5
Video Card 128MB GeForce4 Ti 4200
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 GPU, 128MB DDR RAM, VGA Out, DVI Out, Video IN, Video OUT.
Monitor Hyundai 19" CRT Monitor
Hard Drive Western Digital 80GB 7,200rpm Ultra ATA/100 8.9ms 8MB Cache
CD-Writer Lite-On 48R/24RW/48X cdrw retail
Disk Drive 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
Soundcard Creative Soundblaster Live! DE 5.1
Chassis Antec Permance Plus 660 Mini-Tower [3x 5.25", 5x 3.5", 330W PSU, Front USB]
3x 5.25", 5 x 3.5" (2 External, 3 Internal), Rear Case Fan, 330W ATX P4 PSU,2 Front USB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

and was told by the reseller that they prefer Iwill motherboards because Tyan motherboards dont work with Quadro boards.
Is this true?
As this would be my next purchase when I upgrade.

regards

Valkyrien
01-14-2003, 06:34 AM
TYan mobos and nVidia cards don't like each other very much;)

elvis
01-14-2003, 06:38 AM
random statements ahoy!

links? references? proof? they make the world go round, ya know. :)

Valkyrien
01-14-2003, 06:49 AM
the horror stories are proff enough. But they're not written down:) A friend of mine was running a GF-something with a Tyan Mobo and was getting all sorts of weird shit on his display. Wavy lines and the like, you know?;)

elvis
01-14-2003, 08:30 AM
i've mentioned this elsewhere in these forums, and i'll say it again: stories constitute nothing but tales of ghouls and goblins.

"my friend's sister's boyfriend heard from this guy he met once that the hardware wasn't compatible".

i'm not trying to pick fights or anything, but you really need to show some sort of research before makign wild claims about such things. the web is a pretty big place. if more than two other people have had problems with the same bits of hardware, chances are it would have turned up somewhere on the web.

"wavy lines and the like" could be anything from old drivers to BIOS incompatabilites. dates and times will also give us an indication to see if BIOS flashes and driver updates have been released since then.

here's a search i did on google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=tyan+quadro+problems

notice most of the results found mention people "not being able to find the problems others have commented on". funny how there are plenty who have no problems written down. perhaps said "problems" have since been fixed?

jscott
01-16-2003, 02:19 AM
"wavy lines and the like" could be anything from old drivers to BIOS incompatabilites.

I got wavy lines on my system all of a sudden. Popped my old GeForce2 in the slot and it looked fine. Sent the GeForce4 back to PNY. They send a new one. Everything is fine now.

I agree Elvis, on the internet there are many computer related myths and rumors.

A quick pop over to Alienware shows they put Quadro's in Tyan motherboards. http://www.alienware.com/main/system_pages/mj12%20ddr.asp

-jscott

loop29
01-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Most of the time configurations are too wide to say that one particular hardware is not working with another specific part. I only remember those VIA and Soundblaster issues with PCI bus which was a problem of PCI latency timing. However, I used Quadro´s in Tyan Tiger Mobo without any problems and different set of drivers.

regards

puu
01-16-2003, 10:40 AM
<two cents>

as far as I have heard, tyan dual boards run fine with quadro's, in fact this thread is the first i've heard of the issue. :surprised

bruha
01-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'd say my reseller hasn't done his homework in this case.
cheers

elvis
01-16-2003, 11:04 PM
remember there's a big gap between people who sell systems, and people who use them.

then there's people like my reseller who do both, and give me wholesale rates. nice one. :)

bruha
01-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Sweet deal Elvis
Know of one in Sydney?

elvis
01-17-2003, 01:28 AM
sorry, can't help you i'm afraid. my guy only has one brisbane location, with no plans of expanding i'm afraid. :(

dvornik
02-27-2003, 01:21 AM
OK, I thought I'll revive this topic. We've been having bizarre boot problems with Tyan Thunder K7X S2468 and Quadro4 750XGL. While working on some other issues I replaced one of the Quadro4s with one of our old Elsa Quadro 2 Pro from a Dell machine. The thing wouldn't boot. At all. No sign of life except fans and lights.

elvis
02-27-2003, 01:47 AM
i'm sure you've tried, but the general advice still applies:

make sure the cards and motherboards have the latest BIOSes. make sure the board is rated to pump out the voltage needed for the card, and make sure if the card has any external power needs, they are met. also make sure your PSU is rated high enough to take care of the quadro (these suckers pull a lot of watts). try removing EVERYTHING from the system bar what's needed to boot it (no drives, network cards, sound cards, external devices, etc) and see if it boots. if it does, you've got a power problem.

some boards need to be told to attempt to get video from the AGP device first, rather than the PCI device, otherwise they fail to detect the signal.

and finally, dell do issue their own bioses on older cards. the newer quadro4 are built and biosed by nvidia, but the old dell quadro2 boards were a little different. i've had no problems getting dell geforce2 cards to work in generic systems, but the pro cards may be different. try to find out who actually made the board (elsa/nvidia/one of dell's labs perhaps?) and see what that brand needs in terms of bios, power, etc.

dvornik
02-27-2003, 02:13 AM
In this particular case I won't do anything at all since the cards work perfectly with Dells in which we use them. It just struck me as odd. The reason I posted it is that for the last two months I've been trying to solve problems with Quadro4 (latest bios everywhere) - here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39337&highlight=tyan+quadro4) - and I think it may be related.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.