PDA

View Full Version : Oren-Nayer for MR?

NullHypothesis
06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent Oren-Nayer implementation for Maya / mentalray. I've searched through the forums (and Google) extensively, but I've only been finding dead links. Actually, I did find this shader (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/shaders/3060.html), but I was hoping for something a little more recent than mentalray 2.0.

floze
06-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Hmm.. there did not change much in the Oren-Nayar brdf since august 2004 I guess, so it should be ok to use that shader? What exactly would you expect in a more 'recent' Oren-Nayar implementation?

After looking at that shader, imho it looks pretty decent! Even the source code and some icons is included. The only problem the author is pointing out is that the wrap causes problems when used with shadowing (which probably is because the mi_sample_light function he uses does not sample the 'wrap-region' for optimization reason).

NullHypothesis
06-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Naturally, if I can't find anything else, I'll just try to use that. If I hadn't found dead links for what appeared to be more recent versions of mentalray, I might not have bothered asking. Just wanted to ask around, anyway, and maybe save myself a possible headache if this older shader ran into any problems. =)

augustus
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Actually it's Oren-Nayar 2.0 for mental ray, compiled for mray 3.something :)

You can also try ctrl_shading by francescaluce.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.