PDA

View Full Version : Rhinoceros WIP

davidwAde
06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Latest Update:
Go to page 2 for more!

http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/SkinAdjustHead.gif

I turned this in a final model in school, but Im going to keep updating him, and learn alpha mapping for the smaller detail.

He has a pretty basic wireframe, ill upload that soon, but it is animateable.

MrJames
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Looks good!

Definatley push this model some more, alphas are a must with this kind of creature.... :thumbsup:

davidwAde
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks good!

Definatley push this model some more, alphas are a must with this kind of creature.... :thumbsup:

Thanks, yea first I gotta UV him though for projection master, which I haven't done ina while, and only once before lol, for z-brushes projection master.
Oh well, guess I gotta do it sooner or later.

*Edit*
This rhino is from 3d.sk, Ill post some real pics of him soon.

MrJames
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
It really depends on your workflow mate. If you want to use projection master on him automatic UV him in Zbrush with AUV or GUV tiles. Its the quickest and easiest soloution and in my opinion it gives good results. The only downside is that your Uv's would be harder to texture if you opened up the map in Photoshop, but if you download the ZApp plugin this shouldn't be too much of a problem....:)

davidwAde
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
ZApp plugin? Where is this at?

MrJames
06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Have a look at this (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=34843) page.

The plugin is on it plus a vid and a .pdf to get you started, enjoy! :)

davidwAde
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
:)! Thanks!

antisthenes
08-13-2006, 02:47 PM
reverse engineer the mesh and make it NURBS in Rhinoceros 3D?

davidwAde
11-01-2006, 03:53 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/RhinoTextured.gif

Took a break from CG for a few months, came back n decided to finish this guy for reel purposes.

I've Started layering skin cell/color details for the face, possibly going to go back after texturing n texture mask deflate certain areas of the model, to better define the wrinkles, and so the texture fits the model slightly better, then touch it up.

*Edit* zApp is a ******* amazing plugin.....

davidwAde
11-03-2006, 05:44 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/RhinoTextured2.gif

*Screenshot Preview Unrendered*
Took this a little further for an hour or so tonight...working on getting a somewhat good idea of what the texture is going to be, than going to touch everything up in the final, as is probably noticeable, as there are white areas, and default base skin areas that haven't been touched up.

The chest area was textured in a different method than the face, I'm thinking im going to redo the chest.

Any crits/advice are most helpful, expecially early on, as to save me some time, I have only textured once before, and my knowledge of shaders/rendering techniques is small.

Thanks guys

davidwAde
11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
reverse engineer the mesh and make it NURBS in Rhinoceros 3D?

Well, what I did was inversely, reverse the mesh, therefore negating the reversing, keeping it unreversed, and there-after forgetting all about nurbs, and...I don't know where I was going with that....

But yea, crits/advice most welcome!

comic-craig
11-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Thank you for critiqueing my WIP. To return the favor:

I like what you have done with the horn and toes. The body looks thin- but this isn't really a critique if its meant to be thin. Texture is coming along fine. The one thing that gets me is the ears- I noticed that most ears on rhinos had a specific design- almost like pig ears- fat at the bottom and pointy at the top. If this doesn't match your ref, then I stand corrected- but I would double check that area.

Good luck
Craig

K_Digital
11-04-2006, 01:24 AM
nice work.

davidwAde
11-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Thank you for critiqueing my WIP. To return the favor:

I like what you have done with the horn and toes. The body looks thin- but this isn't really a critique if its meant to be thin. Texture is coming along fine. The one thing that gets me is the ears- I noticed that most ears on rhinos had a specific design- almost like pig ears- fat at the bottom and pointy at the top. If this doesn't match your ref, then I stand corrected- but I would double check that area.

Good luck
Craig

I'm gunna recheck my ref/model, and check up on the belly, it's very possible he is a bit slim.

Yea your definetly right about the ears, thanks for reminding me, I've been avoiding them somewhat, I actually am having alot of trouble shaping it in zbrush, everytime I try, it gives unexpected results, and pinching, ech, but im gunna give it another go, awesome crit btw thanks.

Oh yea, your bio on your page cracks me up.

davidwAde
12-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Update on the texture, lots of issues, but trying to get a base down before I zone in on parts that need work.
Advice/crits are needed!
Thanks!

~Dave

http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/RhinoTextureFurther.jpg

davidwAde
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Update to Skin tones, and some minor detail updates in the texture, fixed the ear up a bit, still working on it, botched the horn are a bit, reworking it, made the skin tones more inline with each other, and eliminated ome of the fake shadows, will proceed more with skin tones once I finally finish the rest....work is biting into my project time =/!

http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/SkinAdjustHead.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/RhinoUpdates/SkinAdjust.jpg

davidwAde
05-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Alright, so I've been working on this guy using zApp for a bit now, and the poly on the inside of the mouth somehow attached itself to the back of the leg.
I am positive this was not the case in Maya, and only recently noticed it, because in quick edit mode it is almost invisible until I go to project.
I can't really move forward n finish and zApp transfer the one texture side to the other until I get rid of this thing, which is the bane of my existence...

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated, really in a rut here, just want to get this project done finally, alpha map, n call it done.

http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/pr0diGy/wtfrhino.jpg

anandpg
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi David! Thats a sad thing to happen... I can only suggest two things:
1. try moving the erring vertex back in place using the move tool in ZBrush
2. export the mesh to maya(if its not too super heavy), select the vertices in the area including the one that was thrown off, and hit "average vertices" a few times... export back to ZBrush.. (you can get the subdivision history back by using "reconstuct subdivision" in the tool palate).

let me know if it works. btw, nice model!:thumbsup:

davidwAde
05-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Awesome, thanks a ton anandpg! I deleted my highest level of resolution which didn't have very much detail on it, and the prior subd level allowed me to export, fixed it up in maya, somehow it had detached, and created two objects in zbrush, so I merged the vertices back together, and averaged the stray point like you suggested, texture re-imported, so far everything is cool.

Only thing though, is I can only seem to reconstruct 2 subD levels, anything further than that, and zbrush crashes when I select subD level 1 of 3. Though it isn't a huge deal, still would like to get 1-2 more levels in, messing around with some possible fixes!

Mike Kopa
09-08-2007, 05:17 PM
hey Dave, this Rhino is coming along nicely... do you have any new updates?

xerious3d
09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
looking good! =D same thing happend to me not to long ago i had to use the move tool for about 15mins to get it right to the spot where it belonged lol waiting for a new update!

davidwAde
09-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Hey thanks for the interest guys, I had stopped doing 3d for a bit but im coming back into it now, I did update this guy, but hes not completely done...nothing to show yet, once I work on the mini details in the model ill post a update.

I'm starting a new model for now, and going to work on my modeling skills as the vacation from it has taken a toll on my modeling ability which had some shortcomings in the first place :/!

Mike Kopa
09-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Sweet man, glad to hear you getting back into it. Looking forward to an update.

ProjectGameDeveloper
09-14-2007, 12:23 AM
your probably headed in this direction but Rhino's have lots of deep bumps on them. Adding some subtle spec on him could really help sell it as well. When you get finished try compositing your image into a real background and this will help.

comic-craig
09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Hey David

Seems like rhino modelling is back in style :)

Actually- I was kind of bummed that right after I finished my rhino model- Z3 added a new free rhino model.... now I worry folks will think I just used that model as a base mesh.

Hope to see this rhino completely finished- but good luck with your other projects, thank you for your help with mine.

Craig

davidwAde
09-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Yea when I first opened ZB3 I noticed that too, was a bit of a bummer, but I don't think people would really think that. But maybe im slightly naive heh.

I will finish this soon, But first, gotta complete a full fresh new model, new begining, new ideas, etc etc, can't pick up on the old model till that happens!

My new model thread is up, hopefully when I get a bit further you can give me some pointers, and gratz on the job at Laika, they are a killer studio.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2007, 08:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.