PDA

View Full Version : Modeling in parts...?

Devils1stBorn
06-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok...making a building...modeled windows seperately...now I want them to mesh with building...how do I egt this done in XSI?

This carries on for any modeling as well...I want to be able to model in parts then add to the mesh so to make it a single mesh?...

Also...if I have all of the parts textured already before I pullthem together. will XSI have a hard time with this?

Thanks.

bryann
06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
1. Select the objects.
2. Create > Polymesh > merge
3. In the PPG click on "Merge materials, UVs, VertexColors, WeightMaps"

dwigfor
06-20-2006, 09:56 PM
In some instances, you may want to only work with a single mesh - merging will screw up constraints,etc. You may find disconnecting edges, moving the item off to the side, do your modelling, and then move it back and weld the points together, preferable.

yog
06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
I would suggest grouping them as a Model.
This has the advantage of keeping all the parts seperate, or even using/exporting as a single model. You can even import the model into another scene as a Referenced Model, this has the further advantage that if you alter the base model, all scenes that contain it as a reference model are also updated.

Devils1stBorn
06-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Ok...working with groups in XSI forme has been a pain for me at the moment, concerning transformations. Now, I tried merging, however, it was unsuccessful. Am I suppose to select windows first>merge> then select the building? Or all objects must be slected and touching one another in turn merging? I've had different results that give me a picking session and also an unfavorable result that looks like a mess.

I suppose I can model from one mesh, but, that can't always be done. Some models are so complex that it is ideal to stay away from that technique?

In all, I just want to learn how to merge objects uniformly and have a clean geometry...

Thanks.

Devils1stBorn
06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I alsojust learned by merging the windows individually to the building...a seperate mesh was created...?...so I now have 6 buildings with a single window on it...?

JDex
06-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Just curious mate... have you read the manual?

If memory serves, it is pretty explicit on how to merge meshes and what happens when you do so.

dwigfor
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
2 things to watch out for when merging. Adjust the tolerence slider to 0 so it doesn't weld points together haphazardly. Next, either hit Hide if you want to keep the original meshes, or hit Delete to delete the original meshes and keep the newly created polymesh. If you hide them, you probably want to Freeze Modelling on the new polymesh. Otherwise, I think if you delete the originals, it'll delete the new polymesh as well! :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.