PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Test Textures

Matatron
06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
i was just reading a workflow for game asset creation with xsi. it talks about Alpha Tested Textures vs. Alpha Blended Materials.

it didn't go into the specifics of the the alpha tested texture, so i'm trying to find out more about it. like how it's created, how it's different from a blended, etc?

does anyone know here know? i'm actually not even sure if it's a specific function of xsi or a more general concept.

thx,
m

bryann
06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
An alpha tested texture in a game will check the alpha channel for transparency. If there is any kind of transparency, even 99% transparent, it will not draw. Alpha blended will make the texture more or less transparent according the the alpha channel.

Think of it like this, alpha tested is a boolean switch. It's either 100% transparent or not. A texture with 99% transparency that is alpha tested will not draw, whereas an alpha blended texture with 99% transparency will make it 99% transparent by blending the alpha channel with the RGB of the diffuse.

I'd reccommend picking up the book "3D Game Textures" for an excellent explanation with graphic examples.

Matatron
06-20-2006, 10:51 PM
sweet! thanks for the book recommendation, i've already ordered it.

until it arrives, i was curious about something...is the difference in how the texture is created, or how it is hooked up inside xsi, or both?

thanks again!
m

bryann
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Depends on the engine. In Source it's simply an entry in your VMT and pointing it to the alpha channel you want to use, in UE it's deciding which DXT format to export, neither of which is done in XSI. You can do a realtime preview in XSI with the appropriate shaders but this is work I do in Photoshop.

I'm not really familiar with any other engines so I can't comment on the pipeline for them.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.