PDA

View Full Version : Wolf leaving traces in snow

Mazuho
06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Okay, first of all, I want to say I am really sorry for having misplaced this thread two times. My intention is not to scavenge as many posts as possible nor is it to put useless clutter in this great forum. Sorry again.

I'm currently working with a nature scene in 3dsmax and I'm wondering on what I should do to make snow deform when an animal (in this case a wolf) walks on it. A lot of animation is planned for the scene so an automated technique is what I am looking for. I was thinking that maybe a havok cloth could do the trick, but I haven't been able to make it look satisfactory.

As for the snow, I am thinking a meshsmoothed plane with a noise modifier, is this a good idea? I have also thought about having a material with displacement, but the deform part gets more difficult with this. Can I have something that "kills" the displacement on the snow material for every step the wolf takes?

I have also thought about using a particle system for the snow and putting deflectors on the wolf. But I couldn't get it to look nice at all... (I would really like to have a chat with the developers in Team Ninja, the deforming snow in Dead or Alive is oh so beautiful.)

Anyone with suggestions or ideas, tips or tricks? Anything is really appreciated!

Oh, and sorry again for the misplacements!

Snikske
06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
is it this effect you want to get?

http://www.dezign.be/balinsneeuw.jpg

this is done with a particle system, leaving particles along the trail. these particles can be used to make a volume selection and then you can use a push modifier for instance to get the depth.

Mazuho
06-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

Snikske, Is this animatable? I mean, can I somehow make it happen in "realtime"?

Snikske
07-01-2006, 02:03 PM
this animated yes, but it is not real time, do you want it to use in a game or so?

Mazuho
07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
No sorry, not for use in a game. I just meant that I would only need to do the thing one time and after that it will be automatic. But I think I have figured it out now. I'll post updates on how it goes. Thanks for all the info and help.

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.