PDA

View Full Version : Power Supplies??

DaForce
01-14-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi,

Im getting a Lian-li PC-60S Silver ALUMINIUM Miditower case for my new machine.

Now, the powersupply that the shop supplies with this case is a 400w HEC power supply. Are these any good? or would i be better of purchasing an Enermax 431W EG465P-VE(FMA) from an external provider, and just get the case without the PS?

Thanks

DaForce
01-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Anyone??? Greg? Elvis?

I would assume this is a pretty easy question to answer.

Basically all i want to know is Enermax better than HEC

GregHess
01-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Get the Hec and see how it works :).

Might as well save some cash first before expending additional money if your going to end up with a psu anyway.

Things to watch for....

a) Weight of the psu. Heavier PSU's tend to use higher quality components...although more then one company has artifically increased weight. (Ya I know, silly).

b) Watch your core voltages in the bios...if they fluxuate too much, it could be a bad psu.

elvis
01-15-2003, 01:46 AM
enermax PSUs are great. no complaints from me. i've not heard of HEC, so i can't comment on that i'm sorry.

greg's right with the weight thing: every PSU i've blown has typically been extrememly light and flimsy. my recommendations are usually asus, enermax and antec.

i've got a codegen in my home system at the moment, but it's a real budget-only PSU. the home system is really only for games and not much else these days. :)

whatever you do, steer clear of brands like OMNI. they really suck.

DaForce
01-15-2003, 01:59 AM
I think i might just got for the enermax psu, because i can get the case by itself and the enermax psu for only $45 more than the case with the HEC psu in it. And i assume the enermax is the better of the 2 psu's?

Ta

p.s. Greg: They actually put weights into the psu just to make it feel heavier?? hahahah ...geez talk about dodgy.

p.s.s. Elvis: Noted, stay away from Omni psu's. Except when recommending them to people i dont like :-) J/K

elvis
01-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by DaForce
p.s.s. Elvis: Noted, stay away from Omni psu's. Except when recommending them to people i dont like :-) J/K
sometimes when you get those real pain in the arse clients it can be tempting! :p

GregHess
01-15-2003, 11:40 AM
p.s. Greg: They actually put weights into the psu just to make it feel heavier?? hahahah ...geez talk about dodgy.

It happened after some articles were written about the quality of power supplies. Normally if you take a capacitor or transformer, and increase the quality of the components, it increases in size, and in most cases weight. So when all else fails, and you have to buy a generic power supply, you can literarly pick them up like fruit, and in most cases the heavier the supply, the higher the quality.

So some companies started increasing the thickness of the psu walls, adding unnecessary "additions".

Of course its alot harder to use this system on newer supplies. Some companies (I believe vantec for example) have switched to alumnium casings to hold the supplies in, as well as expanding upon the # of fan's. (Reducing the metal weight by cutting fan holes in it). Use of copper/alumnium heatsinks also increases/decreases weight as well.

DaForce
01-15-2003, 11:46 AM
So picking up a power supply, and giving it a little squeeze then holding it up to your ear with both hands and shaking it, is not really the way to pick a good power supply anymore hey.....well atleast i wont get funny looks at the local computer store any more.

hahahaha

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.