PDA

View Full Version : xsi - animation tools like messiah?

kidult one
06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Just saw a demo reel for character animation with messiah:animate and saw how they have little squares that act as controllers for some parts of the rig - a crosshair in the square is moved around and the corresponding points move - they say it is done with scripting could U do the same in XSI - Im ne at xsi and started learning to use it for the character animation but the messaih prog seems to do alot - has xsi got as many features - I know good animation comes from good rigs and they can be built in most 3d progs but the squash and strech - and the derformers look really good

Any insight

Sbowling
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Messiah is like an animation addon for lightwave. It's a million times better than animating in Lightwave, but it doesn't really compre to the power of a complete animation program like XSI. It's got some decent canned features, but not a lot of flexibility IMO. You use the tools they made, the way they made them and that's about it. In XSi you can do everything Messiah can do and more once you know the program and on top of that you get a much better interface (one thing I absolutely hated about messiah) and you can set up your animation controls and rigs to work exactly the way you want them to. Scripting in XSI with VBscript, but still powerfull. If you can handle things like Jscript I hear it get's more powerfull and a bit more efficient, but I'm not familiar enough with Jscipt to really comment one way or another. Some of the biggest problems I had with Messiah is that a year after I had purchased the program, it still lacked features that were advertised as being in the program and the updates were very infrequent. It really gave me the impression that this program was something developen in PMG's spare time, and not the highest priority to them.

This is just my opinion and others may feel differently.

BTW, if you could post a link to that demo reel, you will get a more accurate answer as to how this can be done. I'm honestly not sure what you are referring to. Lots of things in XSI can be animated by moving little crosshair things. :D

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.