PDA

View Full Version : COG, Global, Local..

diginime
06-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Can anyone explain to me about COG, Global, Local because when i want to scale the object, this things confuse me...sometimes use COG it works, sometimes global and some is local...Can anyone give me detail about these? Thanks.

Atyss
06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
COG is "center of geometry". The transformation happens from a point located a mathematically calculated center of the geometry.

Local is the actual center of the object (not specific to its geoemtry).

Global is the center of the object parent.

Cheers
Bernard

ThE_JacO
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
COG is "center of geometry". The transformation happens from a point located a mathematically calculated center of the geometry.

Global is the center of the object parent.

Cheers
Bernard

normally global is the world center, the center of the parent is parent.

Atyss
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Ah yeah sorry, that's right. That's what I was saying! ;-)

diginime
06-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Doesn't is the same? Center of geometry...center of object..getting blur and confuse.Can give some examples?

Felipe
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
the center of the object can be edited, you can place it anywhere, the COG don't.
COG works with component selection as well. For exemple, create a sphere and select some random faces. COG will calculate the center of you selection for transformations.

Cheers,
Felipe

dwigfor
06-21-2006, 01:04 AM
It may help you to Transform/Move Center to Bounding Box. Then Local will basically be like COG. You can move the Center to where you need it, or you can use the temporary center (hold down alt (and ctrl if you want snapping)).

If you want to scale globally, I believe you need to select points/edges/or polys. Doing it to the object only works locally.

diginime
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
hmm..that's mean move the pivot with alt key hold down is temporary center? Then if press the center the move the pivot is not temporary? By the way, what is the use of Uni, View, and Par? i think i'm getting the definition now, thx guys.

misterdi
06-22-2006, 03:01 AM
hmm..that's mean move the pivot with alt key hold down is temporary center? Then if press the center the move the pivot is not temporary? By the way, what is the use of Uni, View, and Par? i think i'm getting the definition now, thx guys.

Uni, view is work in conjunction with Transform Manipulator Disabled.
Uni is a uniform scaling, you could use also shift to do this.
view is for translation in viewspace, LMB - Translate in View, MMB - translate vertically, RMB - translate horizontally

Par, is parent mode, so transformation is applied based on transformation matrix of the immediate parent.

Regards,

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2006, 03:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.