PDA

View Full Version : vue 5 rendering....?

DarkEdge
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
hi all!

yes, i've read the post's here in regards to rendering and that neat little message that says, "memory all used up, bud!"
with 2 gigs of ram, radeon 9600 pro card, p4 3.0 ghz chip...i'm finding this a lot hard to believe.

right now i have a scene with 2 million polys and i can't render anything above "final" (i think that's whats after production/test mode)...and even then i have to drop the dpi down below 300. it will write to disk and get stuck at 99% and lock up. silly.

now i know it's a big scene but not even being able to render it is stupid...if it takes hours on hours that's one thing, at least it's rendered though!

any help would be appreciated.

Wabe
06-20-2006, 06:38 AM
What Vue version are we talking about here? I guess Esprit.

2 million polygons is not a big scene, my average for Esprit is around 50 million -
for Infinite we talk billions of polygons.

However, the problem you have is real. What is in the scene? This is more important than the actual count of polygons. Any objects with highres textures? From Poser for example? Ultra highres textures are identified as "enemy #1" - so to say.
You should check that and reduce them if possible.

I guess you are not using network rendering - for that you need to do some extra settings to render in higher quality level than final - 2.5D blur off.

As well i often heard that when people do the dpi setting higher than the default there are problems. I never do that - this is something that is absolutely NOT needed at all. What is important is the amount of pixels you render, not the area you spread them out in. Rendered images for print need to go through something like Photoshop anyway - to change anbd control the color mode - and there the dpi setting can be done easily too.

MT-Cup
06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Good ways to reduce that is to look hard at your scene. Things that are not close to the camera and will not suffer from reduced texture maps, right click on them and chose "bake to polygons" a great memory saver. Also look at the textures you are using. Doing a lot of reflection/refraction or perhaps transluscency? Try tweaking them down, also. There are lots of little things you can do to help make it over the threshold where you'll get what you're looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.