PDA

View Full Version : help needed with Rigging Pro from 3dquakers...

Mechis
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to work through the 3dquakers rigging pro tutorial and am stuck on the second video, where Charbel makes the envelope bones.

I correctly oriented the center so that the x-axis is pointing down the bone and I also moved the center so it is at the bottom of the bone. However, when I do Alt-A to align the envelope bone to the upperleg IK R bone, the envelope bone is not oriented correctly and the center of the envelope bone and the upperleg IK R bone are not lined up at all.

I have attached a picture and a simple test file that both show the problem I am having. I am also showing that I have oriented the envelope bone's center, just as it is in the video.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at them and give me some advice.

Thanks,
Marcus

dwigfor
06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
For others that have not watched the video, the alt-a shortcut was assigned to match all transforms (It's not a default shortcut).

I don't have XSI up and running now, but maybe I can help you. First, you have align root to first bone enabled, right? With center enabled, it is in fact X that is going down the bone length, right? On your cube (skin bone), you enabled center and moved that to the top (you said bottom, but shouldn't it be at the top?) of the bone and rotated the center so that X was going down the length of it. And then matched all transforms to the bone.

That didn't work?

Mechis
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Dwigfor,

Thanks for the reply. I remember when you posted about the expressions problems you were having.

>First, you have align root to first bone enabled, right?
yes

>With center enabled, it is in fact X that is going down the bone length, right?
yes

You're right that when the skin bone is oriented properly and aligned with the IK bone, the center will be at the top of the skin bone. However-- in the video, Charbel moves the center to the bottom of the cube and then rotates the center 90 degrees so that the x axis is pointing up. Then, when he does match all transforms, the envelope bone orients itself so that the center's x-axis is pointing down the bone (just like the IK bone's center) and everything lines up. I was just trying to follow the video.

As a side note-> I did try moving the envelope bone's center to the top of the bone and orienting the x-axis down. Then, I did match all translations and the cube was in the right location, BUT it was not oriented correctly. No matter if I did match all translations or match rotation, I couldn't get the envelope bone and the IK bone to match up.

Any other thoughts? Thanks,
Mechis

Mechis
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's a screen grab and the scene where I tried moving the center to the top of the envelope bone (even though in the video, Charbel moves it to the bottom). As you can see, when I did match all translations, the envelope bone went to the right place, but it is not oriented correctly.

I even tried selecting the envelope bone again and did match rotations to the IK bone, but the envelope bone stayed at the same orientation...

This isn't normal, right?

Thanks!
~Mechis

themick_g
06-19-2006, 09:08 PM
hi,
I downloaded your scenefile. ok here is what I did....get rid of your cube. create a new polycube, lenght 1.
actvate 'midpoint' in the point-snap-menue.select the cube, in the select-menue choose CENTER.snap-move the center to the middle of the lower polyface of the cube. hit c , rotate the center while holding shift, till the red axis points up.change your selectmode from CENTER back to OBJECT. select your cube ,go transform-match all transforms, select the first bone. thats it, now everything should look like in the video. :)
and just a tip. Dont go on putting together the whole rig! You should get version 5.1 or 5.11 as soon as possible ! Because in version 5.0 XSI can't remember some of the constrains of the arm when you close and re-open the scene!I did the whole rig,closed the scene ,opend it again and all the constraints were messed up!I told charbel about my problem, and he told me to get version5.1.
I installed version 5.1 and everything worked fine!
....again,thanks charbel for this tut-video ,its awesome...
cheers
mick

Mechis
06-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice (and the tip on updating xsi to v5.11). I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. My problem was that I had auto-key switched on... the rotation was keyframed, so when I tried to match all translations, the envelope bone would not change it's rotation (it was already set by the keyframe).

All I did was remove the animation on the rotation channels, turn off auto-key and then match all translations worked perfectly.

Again, thanks everyone. Your help was much appreciated.
~Mechis

3DQUAKERS
06-20-2006, 05:40 AM
@ Mick, thank you for the nice words.

@ Marcus, I did not have time to check the file yesterday, but I am glad you could find what you were doing wrong on your own.

@ all, it's very important that you watch the videos at least 1-2 times before you attempt to rebuild the rig. That way you will avoid a lot of problems you might otherwirse inadvertently face.

Sbowling
06-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice (and the tip on updating xsi to v5.11). I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. My problem was that I had auto-key switched on... the rotation was keyframed, so when I tried to match all translations, the envelope bone would not change it's rotation (it was already set by the keyframe).

All I did was remove the animation on the rotation channels, turn off auto-key and then match all translations worked perfectly.

Again, thanks everyone. Your help was much appreciated.
~Mechis

You should NEVER have auto key on when setting up rigs and such. Keep it off until you are actually animating. I usually keep it off while animating, because it's real easy to get yourself into trouble when it's on.

Sbowling
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=3DQUAKERS
@ all, it's very important that you watch the videos at least 1-2 times before you attempt to rebuild the rig. That way you will avoid a lot of problems you might otherwirse inadvertently face.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with this. I usually will watch a video tutorial like this all the way through first while taking notes, then try setting up a rig on my own and referring back to the videos when I get stuck. It seems to help me understand what's what better.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.